My Polaris 9300 Sport bit the dust - need advice on choosing a new robotic cleaner

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
My Polaris 9300 Sport needs a new motor block = big $$$ repair, as in near $600 :mad: So I need to research robotic pool cleaners (I want to stick with robotic). The 9300 Sport worked fairly well, so something along the same line in terms of features and performance would be good.

Any ideas on how to begin this process aside from the normal research? Any brands I should AVOID? Any brands that are considered better than others?

I can sort of help you only because I have done some exhaustive research on this site and others reading thousand of reviews, etc. even though I have yet to purchase one :D

All of that is to say that I decided on the Dolphin brand of robotic cleaners. They seemed to be the most conistently high rated cleaner I had come across.

Specifically, I plan on buying this model off of Amazon:

Amazon.com : Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet : Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

There are definately nicer and pricier models with more bells and whistles but I thought this one was a good bang for the buck. Had good reviews on TFP also if you do a search.

I have a Dolphin Nautilus going on 3 years now. Love it. It dont have any bling, but it does a great job of cleaning the bottom and walls.
I think the current version of the Nautilus, is the Nautilus + which is about 600. Top loaded filters on the new version as well as a handle to help get it out of the pool.

recommended by me.

Excellent info, thank you very much!

So the pool cleaner gods were on my side today. Last week when I called Polaris to first complain about my cleaner crapping out the rep said to call back when I knew what the issue was and he'd try and help me. I didn't hold out much hope since it's out of warranty but I made sure to express my concern. Once it was revealed the motor block was bad again, I called Polaris to at least voice my dissatisfaction that the motor block had failed TWICE in 14 months. The rep said he'd discuss with his supervisor and call me back. He called me back and asked what resolution I'd like and I said for the repair work to be comped 100%, but he took it a step further and said he'd send me a brand new replacement unit. Needless to say I was shocked and pleased with this. So I will be getting a new 9350 Sport unit in a week or so, which appears to be the most comparable unit to the 9300. I have to give Polaris props for going above and beyond what I expected to make a bad situation right. I was not expecting ANYTHING and would not have blamed Polaris for telling me I was out of luck.

thanks, it's nice to get a win every so often.

And BTW, the builder we used included the 9300 Sport so that's how we ended up with it. Otherwise I would have likely gotten something else after researching it. But now I know to look at the Maytronics brand of cleaners when I am in the market.

Agreed, it was refreshing to say the least. I am happy to report some positive news for a change.

I received the new 9350 Sport within just 3 days of speaking to the customer rep, so that was another pleasant surprise. At first glance everything about the 9350 is better than the 9300. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the 9450/9550 but it cleans the pool and that's all I want.

A few noticeable improvements (in my opinion anyway).

* The 9350 cleaning unit feels heavier/sturdier, FWIW
* The caddy setup is an improvement - it's more compact
* The 9350 cord is improved over the 9300 cord. It's as if it's designed to roll up like a water hose and keep that shape. It also floats on the surface of the water whereas the 9300 cord did not (at least not that I recall), so that should help it keep its shape. The 9300 cord lost its shape pretty quickly, even when rolled up tightly on the caddy.
* While the 9300 had short and long cleaning cycles, the 9350 has "floor only" and "floor + wall" settings. I don't need my walls cleaned every time, so it was a time saver to choose just floor cleaning. After not having a pool cleaner for nearly 2 weeks, the 9350 cleaned my pool completely in only 2 cycles. The 9300 would not have done that.
* The "lift out of pool" feature is interesting, as this will allow me to remove the cleaner without tugging too much on the cord.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.