Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Just so I know what to expect, should the line drawn on the ground during the layout of the pool before excavation exactly correspond to the water's edge perimeter of the pool as drawn on my engineering plans? I'm not there yet, but I want to be prepared. Any insight would be appreciated.

The outline drawn in paint is roughly equal to plan. It's there for the excavator or backhoe to hit a mark. The crew will also hand dig with shovels. Depending on the specified shotcrete thickness (typically minimum 6"), the final hole should be slightly larger than plan to accommodate rebar and concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks, Matt. That's what I would have expected, but I wanted to be sure. I thought I read here where someone's layout was smaller than their plan, but their PB said that's how they did it, so it had me concerned.

My outline was the water's edge. It didn't include the extra for the 12" shotcrete or the forms. You need to make sure to ask what the outline represents. Does it include the shotcrete or not? etc...

Also don't get too upset if it looks small in your yard. Honestly I was really unhappy with the outline. I even ended up making the far end of my pool bigger because of it (I am still happy I did that) but once they dig the actual hole it will seem so huge.

I believe our line corresponded to actual excavation.

Dig1_zpsigyvl3io.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Dig2_zpsggizmmxn.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

but once they dig the actual hole it will seem so huge.

No kidding!

Agreed with all comments above, each excavator crew will be different. Talk with the excavation foreman and/or your PB to clarify exact measurements. If you want to impress (and scare) the excavator crew, go buy a 50ft tape measure and a hard hat from Home Depot and measure the layout when they go on break in the morning ;) If they see you measuring and taking notes, they'll be a bit more careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Haha! I've already got the tape measure, so all it would take is the hardhat... That would be hilarious! I'm all for them being a bit more careful. :)

If they see someone at home and think they're being watched, they will work better and be more careful. I honestly believe that, when at all possible, you should insist on being at home anytime a subcontractor is there. Good PBs try to show up on site as often as they can but they will rarely be there all the time. So being home and attentive to the project is a must in my opinion.

If they see someone at home and think they're being watched, they will work better and be more careful. I honestly believe that, when at all possible, you should insist on being at home anytime a subcontractor is there. Good PBs try to show up on site as often as they can but they will rarely be there all the time. So being home and attentive to the project is a must in my opinion.

I'm sure you're right about that. We are just waiting on our final engineering plans and then this is going to be an owner build (I'll start a dedicated thread soon.) I'm home all the time anyway, so it will be a given that I will be supervising closely. The funny part (aside from the hardhat ;-) ) is that I will be five months pregnant by the time this build actually starts in January (if all goes well) since the engineering has taken so long. Hopefully they know not to mess with a pregnant woman! ;-) My husband works from home two-three days per week so he'll be good backup.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right about that. We are just waiting on our final engineering plans and then this is going to be an owner build (I'll start a dedicated thread soon.) I'm home all the time anyway, so it will be a given that I will be supervising closely. The funny part (aside from the hardhat ;-) ) is that I will be six months pregnant by the time this build actually starts in January (if all goes well) since the engineering has taken so long. Hopefully they know not to mess with a pregnant woman! ;-) My husband works from home two-three days per week so he'll be good backup.

Congratulations! If the subs know what's good for them, they will know NOT to mess with a pregnant woman. And, double-whammy, if you go out there and push your belly out and walk like your back is hurting a bit, you can totally play the sympathy card!!

By the way, this item might interest you ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations! If the subs know what's good for them, they will know NOT to mess with a pregnant woman. And, double-whammy, if you go out there and push your belly out and walk like your back is hurting a bit, you can totally play the sympathy card!!

By the way, this item might interest you ;)

Thank you! That sleeper would be a fitting outfit for this baby considering the timing of how all this pool planning has gone and when our eventual build will end. I just hope the pool building process is at least a little easier than labor. But, each has it's own reward at the end! ;-)

I want to reiterate what Matt said above because its right on. As the owner you should go out and introduce your self to each crew as they show up in the morning.

You should ask what they are going to do that day and generally how they are going to do it. With pool layout you should approve it before they dig. Don't be afraid to measure. Elevation is just as important as placement. Remember to take into account setbacks (measured from edge of water). DON"T EYEBALL IT. After they surveying crew laughs in your face because you missed the corner by at least 100 feet you learn not to eyeball it (and buy beer). Measure twice dig once.

You can leave but check back at least once during the day. Don't be afraid to ask polite questions or call your superintendent with questions.

If you are there, asking polite questions and if necessary intervening, you will get a superior product and less disputes with your PB.

Generally plaster, gunite and masonry crews like beer at the end of the day.

Jamie!!!!!!! You have to get the hard hat and make it look well used! Take a hummer to it and some oil or marker to mark it up!

The baby bump out with a measuring tape should make sure you get an awesome pool!

I would have a large copy of the plans hung where it can be seen by all. Take pics and share here often.

Kim

I want to reiterate what Matt said above because its right on. As the owner you should go out and introduce your self to each crew as they show up in the morning.

You should ask what they are going to do that day and generally how they are going to do it. With pool layout you should approve it before they dig. Don't be afraid to measure. Elevation is just as important as placement. Remember to take into account setbacks (measured from edge of water). DON"T EYEBALL IT. After they surveying crew laughs in your face because you missed the corner by at least 100 feet you learn not to eyeball it (and buy beer). Measure twice dig once.

You can leave but check back at least once during the day. Don't be afraid to ask polite questions or call your superintendent with questions.

If you are there, asking polite questions and if necessary intervening, you will get a superior product and less disputes with your PB.

Generally plaster, gunite and masonry crews like beer at the end of the day.

Great advice! How does Dos Equis sound for the beer? (We once bartered a ping pong table from Craigslist for a case of it!)

Jamie!!!!!!! You have to get the hard hat and make it look well used! Take a hummer to it and some oil or marker to mark it up!

The baby bump out with a measuring tape should make sure you get an awesome pool!

I would have a large copy of the plans hung where it can be seen by all. Take pics and share here often.

Kim

I don't know if I could actually pull off the hard hat thing... I'll take a picture if I brave it though! ;-)

Kim, I remember your advice from other threads about having a large copy of the plans out for everyone to reference. I was going to do that, but appreciate the reminder.

Plans should be finalized tomorrow and then hopefully I can start sending them to subs for bid. I had wanted to have this going by October, but obviously that didn't happen, so I'm planning on trying to start in January. I figure we still get the benefit of the slow time. I'm going to buy my equipment now before possible new year price increases. Hopefully the weather in January will cooperate. I will certainly post lots of pictures when the time comes!

Just so I know what to expect, should the line drawn on the ground during the layout of the pool before excavation exactly correspond to the water's edge perimeter of the pool as drawn on my engineering plans? I'm not there yet, but I want to be prepared. Any insight would be appreciated.

Every builder and excavation company is different. My excavation company laid out the excavation line. the h2o line was about 12 inches in.

Every builder and excavation company is different. My excavation company laid out the excavation line. the h2o line was about 12 inches in.

That's very good to know. I'll just be sure to talk to the excavation guys before they start so I know what to expect and can measure their accuracy based on how they say they are doing it. Thanks!

I'm sure you're right about that. We are just waiting on our final engineering plans and then this is going to be an owner build (I'll start a dedicated thread soon.) I'm home all the time anyway, so it will be a given that I will be supervising closely. The funny part (aside from the hardhat ;-) ) is that I will be six months pregnant by the time this build actually starts in January (if all goes well) since the engineering has taken so long. Hopefully they know not to mess with a pregnant woman! ;-) My husband works from home two-three days per week so he'll be good backup.

Congratulations Jamie!!
is this your first?

Thank you, Nursenini! We are very excited. The more kids we are blessed with, the bigger the pool needs to be... This will be our seventh child. :)

Jamie,

If you can manage a home and 7 kids, then keeping a few ornery pool sub-contractors in line should be a walk in the park ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.