First Winter with Pool (and Am Slightly Panicking)

Mar 30, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
This is my first winter with our pool and I keep getting worried that I'm doing something wrong that will damage the pool come spring. Last night, I actually dreamt that the pool sides collapsed! Here's a picture of what I have going right now (apologies, picture taken from upstairs through window):

Pool level is about 6" under the skimmer, etc. I've got the winter cover on the pool with milk jugs tied around to keep it from blowing off (the wind blew it up a few times already this fall). I also have two winter pillows inside the pool under the cover, but they've floated to the sides... is this an issue? I've been draining the water off the pool with a hose periodically, but I'm wondering if I need to keep doing this or if I can just let it go. Now, a light layer of ice has formed over the water. I also haven't covered any of our equipment (pump, filter, heater)... should I do this? What's the best way to cover it? Just secure a tarp around it?

Oh, and I live in Cleveland, Ohio, so we get pretty tough winters. Lots of cold and snow. I'm wondering what's the best way to prepare the pool for the snow (since once it starts falling there's not much I can do to help it).

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi, I dont cover my heater (manual says not to). I have the same problem with the pillows, it helps to have a helper center them with rope on two sides. Some people cover the pumps with large trash bag wrapped with tape. We just had our first snowfall here yuck.

I will be doing this next year and have already been doing a lot of research for next year. From what you have said it looks fine to me. I guess I wouldn't worry about the water on top until next springs. Keep us posted. I know I will be in the same worrying condition this time next year. You spend a lot of time and money on these pools and you don't want anything to happen to them. Trusting everything will be fine.
Here's a thought. I've seen a lot of videos of people in the spring have really stinky green water on top of their covers. What if a guy put one of those floaters with the hockey disks inside in that water on top of the cover?

The pillows are there to provide a cushion against ice expansion. Water expands when it freezes, and if you don't give it room to expand, it will expand against the sides of your pool and push them out. So it really does not matter where the pillows are, as long as they are in the water. The middle makes water removal easier, and does work a little better as an expansion compensator, but having two floating around is just fine.

Me, I would cover my equipment, but if your manual says not to, then don't (I don't have a heater). I have a DE filter, which I drain and store in a shed. You should be able to do the same with your cartridge filter (provided you have a shed) sand filter people are sort of stuck with leaving that ton of sand outside.

@Piper Mike, what do you mean by "What if a guy put one of those floaters with the hockey disks inside in that water on top of the cover? " - do you mean a floater with DiChlor tabs? If so, the answer is, not much. There is too much organic material (leaves, insects, etc) in that water, coupled with the algae. Any CL that the tabs put out is going to be consumed immediately. Not to mention they will do nothing for the particulate matter. I try to keep my cover leaf and debris free so that the water on top does not get too bad (my cover leaks like a sieve, so pumping it off is not an option). In the spring I throw mosquito dunks in it, so nothing uses it as a skeeter breeding ground. I try to open early so that the water on the cover does not become too bad.

-dave

Make sure you have a cover plate over your skimmer opening and also a plug in the return. Also make sure you opened the drain in your heater manifold, pump and filter. My parents above ground that I took care of forever I disconnected the hoses to the skimmer and return to make sure they didn't ever get any leaking back water. I actually took the pump inside for the winter.

I also disconnect pump and skimmer, had a plug in eyeball leak once. I used to use old garden hose to siphoning water of cover. Now I tape heavy washers to aquarium hose and siphon out water, the leaves don't plug the end. Just takes longer. Above ground pool covers are very easy to drain. And I just use snow shovel to get heavy snow off if needed. The best AG cover might get 2 years for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.