arata

Nov 23, 2015
Homosassa florida
Hi
We are from the upper gulf coast area of Florida and have enclosed our pool so that we can enjoy it all year long. This year we had rain and humidity for three months nearly everyday! and never could enjoy he pool area or did our cats. So we built a large sun room all around it and converted our pool to salt. We are having a climate controlled AC with humidifier installed soon to control the humidity and hopefully the dangerous chemical smell of Chlorimine. However, this morning we opened our home to a toxic smelling sun room after the pool ran during the night!

Now we are looking into getting completely fresh water pool treated by an ionizer to eliminate the chemical cholorimine smells and don't want to be fooled anymore like we were when we installed a salt treatment system and thought that would lower the chlorine to where we would be safe with an indoor pool.

Can anyone help us please?

Kind regards
Felice

Hi Felice,
welcome to TFP.

If the pool is sanitized and chlorinated properly and the water is clean, there should be no toxic chloramine smell, regardless of the sources of chlorine. Chloramines and the odor that goes with it, is a result of chlorine being oxidized while killing off "stuff" growing in the water.

May I ask how you are testing the water and what the water parameters are? Or is someone else testing it? In reviewing the water parameters, we might be able to better advise of what the problem might be.

The best recommendation as well that I or anyone could give you right now, is to aquire a reliable test kit, such as the TF-100 or the Taylor K2006C. Then test your water yourself and post the results here. The test strips and pool store testing are notoriously poor methods of determining what the pool needs, and we promote self testing here with a good test kit.

HI! I LOVE your area of Florida! We have visited quite often!

For right now you need to open all of the windows and doors to the outside to air the pool room out.

With your pool being inside some of the levels and ways of dealing with it will be different BUT the basics are the same!

You NEED a good test kit! Here is the link to the test kits we use and love!

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

You can look in my siggy below to see where to buy them.

Saying that...........we need your pool info. in your siggy. Here is how to do it:

-Go to settings

-look on left hand side for edit signuture

-add this info.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
What kind/model of water test kit you are using
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

A picture of your pool and set up would be wonderful as well.

If you do an reading on here you will see we do not use the ionizer. We use chlorine.

Lets get you a good test kit THEN we will get into what you need to do with your pool.

Kim (cats?? what kind??)

I'm a bit south of you in Clearwater. We did get quite a lot of rain this summer. I had to dump water several times and then rebalance chemicals, particularly CYA (stabilizer) and calcium hardness. It took some time to get everything back into balance. I am a newbie at pool ownership; we bought the house with a suffering pool at the end of February, and at the end of April we filled it after having it resurfaced and all the equipment replaced. We had a salt water chlorine generator installed, and we almost never have a chlorine odor. The strongest smell of chlorine is about the same as the bed sheets might have after using a little bleach when you wash them.

The advice I've gotten here has been fantastic. If you follow the TFPC method, you will have a sparkling pool with little effort. Pay attention to the advice you get here. If your pool has issues, it might take some time and effort to clear them up, but the members of this forum will walk you through the task.

Thank you all for your advise. We have an indoor pool now and we do get a chlorine smell even with the salt system. Yours is outside where you won't smell it. When I keep the windows open we can't smell it either. However,....

We took a sample of our water today to the pool supply company and found it was high in chlorine. We are going to run the system at a lower number with the windows open and later when the chlorine levels are low where they should be in a salt system then we can see if this will still make the air smell bad when we close the windows.

I did add the pool info in my sig after I did my post, but I don't see it now. Here it is again.

10000 gal granite in ground pool. Salt water system.

Kind regards
Felice
PS, I thought I would be an email when someone replied to me but I didn't. Sorry I was late replying to all of you.