Sever

Nov 22, 2015
Fontana, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Guys wanted to si hi and say im soon to be a new pool owner but have some questions. the PB gave me 2 options as far as cleaning either the Del Ozone Eclipse System or the Pentair Intellichlor SWG The pool is going to be IG outdoors 15'x30'. Ive noticed alot of you guys saying the SWG is much better choice just want to confirm. also had a question on the filter which he listed as the Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter also from Pentair should i be asking for a sand filter instead?

Welcome to TFP!

You gave a softball first question - SWG without a doubt.

What size filter is he talking about? Generally you want a larger filter and a smaller pump than you think you do.

I love my sand filter, but it is all I have ever had. Look to others for objective advice as far as this goes.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Clearly, get the SWG. Don't even consider the ozone...it doesn't work.

For that pool, probably a 1 hp pump and that filter should be fine. Read about filters in Pool School

I agree with Tim and Dave, go with the SWG.
I have a C&C plus filter as well. The 320 will be plenty large enough for that size pool, and they are easy to clean when the time comes.

Since you are in CA, and with the water shortage you have, you will do well with the cartridge filter. The cartrige filter doesnt require backwashing, while a sand filter and DE filter do, and thats just water down the drain so to speak.

Also since you are in CA and the electric rates are very high, you might consider a variable speed pump. It cost more up front, but a VS pump is extremely energy efficient and with your electric rates, will likely pay for itself in energy savings in a couple or 3 years. If a VS pump option doesnt fit your budget, then at the very least, elect to have a 2 speed pump installed.

Welcome! :wave:

Get a SWG and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with a cartridge filter.... but.... sand filters are easiest to clean, and I expect you will get a lot of windblown dust in your pool where you live. Also, you will no doubt suffer from Calcium buildup over time, and backwashing a filter allows you to replace some saturated water with lower CH water periodically.

You will need to exchange some water periodically, at least after the first year. Plan for it. Have the PB put a T with a hose bib in the outlet pipe from the pump. Then if you need to lose some water you just connect a garden hose.

No matter what else, make sure there's a skimmer at the extreme downwind end of the pool, even if it means a super-long pipe run. Otherwise all the surface trash will get blown right past the skimmer, collect at the downwind end, get waterlogged, sink, and then you'll need to vacuum it. I know there's some strong winds out there in Rialto. Just figure out the angle they blow the most in the summer.

Thanks for the useful information guys. A variable speed pump is included in the deal. The winds are very strong so i will make sure the skimmer is installed in the right spot

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.