Can you operate the cleaner without a back up valve?

Mar 24, 2011
I usually don't have any areas where the cleaner (Kreepy Krauly Legend) gets tangled up or stuck, but I do have reason to think my back up valve may be having some problems. So, the question is can I remove the back up valve and operate the cleaner without it installed? Am I going to create problems or damage something else such as the pump or the cleaner itself?

I run my Polaris without a backup valve and it works fine. It actually works better than it does with the valve in place... I can't see any way it could possibly damage the pump or cleaner....

My pool doesn't have any trouble spots, so I don't need to worry about it getting stuck. If I had a ladder or something, I would probably use the backup valve.

-Matt

I run my Polaris without a backup valve and it works fine. It actually works better than it does with the valve in place... I can't see any way it could possibly damage the pump or cleaner....

My pool doesn't have any trouble spots, so I don't need to worry about it getting stuck. If I had a ladder or something, I would probably use the backup valve.

-Matt

I just had my backup valve punk out on me. It is stuck in the reverse cycle and never diverts water to the cleaner itself anymore. I was thinking of running the cleaner without the valve while I waited for the replacement to be delivered.

Did you just use a regular swivel to couple the two hose ends that normally couple with the valve?

Even better - is there a way to jury-rig the existing (broken) backup valve so it is always diverting to the cleaner and never cycles into reverse mode? That way, I don't have to pay $20 for a swivel that I will use only for five days.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

I just had my backup valve punk out on me. It is stuck in the reverse cycle and never diverts water to the cleaner itself anymore. I was thinking of running the cleaner without the valve while I waited for the replacement to be delivered.

Did you just use a regular swivel to couple the two hose ends that normally couple with the valve?

Even better - is there a way to jury-rig the existing (broken) backup valve so it is always diverting to the cleaner and never cycles into reverse mode? That way, I don't have to pay $20 for a swivel that I will use only for five days.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

I just used a small piece of hard plastic hose to join the 2 sections. I no longer had a swivel... I ran it that way for about 6 months before I bought a new Polaris and replaced the old hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.