What's The Most Helpful Advice You've Gotten From TFP?

The overall pool chemistry dance
Summer vs. winter pool chemistry in particular
An understanding of CSI/LSI, especially as it relates to being a gauge and especially combined with the influences of colder water.
Various articles in pool school
Pretty much anything posted by ChemGeek (full disclosure, I probably understand 40% of it--if I read it several times--<G>)
A deep appreciation for just how good my pool builder really is
The link in one old post to PoolPal (Android) which is invaluable to have by your side at the pool. (Or Pool Math)
The beauty of all the designs that people post

Now I MUST have a piece of old fire hose. Why didn't I think about that, and how did I miss this?
:scratch:

I hate my crappy blue hose!!! :hammer:

Great replies EVERYONE! I've read them all, and it's so interesting to see everyone's answers for the whole perspective. Please keep them coming.
:goodjob:

34r63xj.jpg

Like many here, I could list a lot of them.

I think the 3 that most benefited me are:

- the "Bleach" method for FC maintenance. Since I switched to the TFP method in June 2014, the pool's been in cruise mode with no Algae or Cloudy water issues at all. Water appearance is always clear.

I can now go between 3-6 months before Backwashing the DE Filter. I'm currently about to exceed my longest Backwash duration time period of 6 months. Prior to switching to the TFP methods, I rarely exceeded 5-6 weeks between Backwashes.

- FC/CYA ratio chart and expl. Before arriving at this forum, I'd not seen this relationship explained and charted in a way I could understand it and use it practically for my pool.

- Water Testing assistance items. The best one by far for me has been the "SpeedStir". I do all of my CH testing now with this item and the FAS powder test.

Misc things:

One of the best ideas I picked up here has been the "pipette" method for drawing the pool water sample. I installed a ½" CPVC Valve at one end of a 4' CPVC line and it works great

- The TFP store site Glycerin PSI Gauge. The 0-30 scaling is a big improvement from the standard plastic 0-60 PSI Gauges and the filled gauge eliminates condensation inside the gauge.

I haven't tried the "Skimmer Sock" idea yet. It sounds like a good idea.

Patrick,
check eBay. That's where I got mine.
1 1 2 x 50 Fire Hose w Brass Ends | eBay

Or if you know any firemen, you might check with them to see what they do with the ones from hotels and schools that get replaced.

I cut off one of the ends and used a couple of radiator hose clamps to clamp to the pvc pipe. The hose wont fit on 1 1/2 pvc, you'll have to reduce it to 1 1/4 to get the hose to slide over. It leaks a bit but who cares for backwashing or puming water out?

After I used it the first time, I went ahead and cut off the other brass end because it has a tendency to get heavy when pulling it back to the pad and rolling it up on my hose hanger.

So, where do we start looking for a piece Dave?

Scoop:

Stories like yours going on cruise control are what keep me coming back to TFP. I LOVE seeing the lights come on for people.
:goodjob:

Had another thought and then I reread this post. I was thinking of the ah ha moment or as you put it "the lights going on". Maybe we need a :idea: thread.

Mine was when I got on here fighting a losing battle with the swamp. Either You, Lisa or Kim explained what was in my "chlorine tabs". "Gee the pool store said my CYA was high."

You know how this story ends :idea: :idea: :idea: :) :D :whoot:

Where to begin?

+FC:CYA relationship chart was the most groundbreaking concept for me that underpins all else.
+Test kit was essential to taking control in a meaningful way
+Swamp recovery tips were invaluable at a time when nobody, including paid pros, seemed to have a clue about what it would take to recover a foreclosure pool that could have been a write-off
+Ammonia breakpoint was uber germane ;)
+crowd-sourced and cumulative metal management tips/trials and the science behind them, eg chemgeek's prodigious contributions truly valuable, plus another poster (Ravenjim's) discovery if the metal magic sponge test in lieu of AA treatments all dramatically improved my quality-of-pool-life...which over a few years evolved further with soft water top up sand ultimate reduction of iron load
+PoolSkim...love that thing
+Robot...also love that thing
+Functional understanding of my equipment
+Borates was an awesome discovery
+local rep as the pool whisperer with uber sparkly, soft, silky water (priceless ;)

And of course the only possible downside to it all:
...An aversion to other, nonTFP pool water ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BBB which is now TFPC Method.
TF100 Test Kit.
Speed Stirer is the BOMB.
Pool School.
Above Ground Pool Construction.
Cutting solar cover to easily manage for 1.
Bleach bottles as weights for steps.

I'm sure I have more.

I love my Intelliflo variable speed pump.
Being able to run my pump and skim leaves 24x7 for 12 bucks a month is awesome! And having total control over water flow for solar, waterfall, skimming, chlorine making is great.

I love saltwater chlorine making! Easy! Just tweak the SWG occasionally and add some acid as needed. Which is a lot less since I got my TA down and added borates, thanks to TFP!

#1 in my book is the chlorine/cya relationship. Understanding how to maintain CYA to buffer the chlorine harshness in my pool and in my hot tub is excellent! And makes the whole swimming experience a LOT better!

Agree that the #1 drawback of TFPC is how BAD it is to swim in other people's pools. :-D

I don't swim in other pools except my brother's TFPC pool.

Being shown the way to Chemical automation, specifically, acid pumps. A real godsend for those of us with SWG related upward ph drift issues (spillway aeration driven); a problem compounded by so little time to tend to acid management (i.e. the salt mines M-F / "hair on fire" weekends).

To those providing help know this: you will be spared when comes the time we take over your planet.

The idea that you can re-run the CYA test by pouring the mixture back into the mixture bottle and trying again. Seems so obvious, but it's one of those things that just didn't occur to me until pointed out to another member.

TFP has allowed me to understand and gain control of my pool chemistry. It's also based on recommendations here that I changed out my old single speed pump for a Pentair Intelliflow VS pump.

For those thinking about using fire hose for backwash, I am a Fire Chief and I don't use fire hose. I use trash pump discharge hose instead. Fire hose has a double cloth jacket and quite heavy, since it's rated for very high pressures (on the order of 500 psi). Yes, it will work, but trash pump hose (100 psi rated) is much lighter, cheap ($20-40) and much better suited for the task. It is very durable and can even be had with the quick cam lock fittings.image.jpg

Amazon.com: Apache 98138045 2 Scientific

For skimmer socks, hair nets of the type used by food handlers is one of the greatest finds so far. They fit and work perfect. Cost Of $6.50 for a hundred, so it's simple to pull one out, toss it and put a new one in.
image.jpg

Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Office Products

Thank you TFP for these suggestions, maybe I can give back a little by passing them along.

TFP has allowed me to understand and gain control of my pool chemistry. It's also based on recommendations here that I changed out my old single speed pump for a Pentair Intelliflow VS pump.

For those thinking about using fire hose for backwash, I am a Fire Chief and I don't use fire hose. I use trash pump discharge hose instead. Fire hose has a double cloth jacket and quite heavy, since it's rated for very high pressures (on the order of 500 psi). Yes, it will work, but trash pump hose (100 psi rated) is much lighter, cheap ($20-40) and much better suited for the task. It is very durable and can even be had with the quick cam lock fittings.View attachment 44037

Amazon.com: Apache 98138045 2 Scientific

For skimmer socks, hair nets of the type used by food handlers is one of the greatest finds so far. They fit and work perfect. Cost Of $6.50 for a hundred, so it's simple to pull one out, toss it and put a new one in.
View attachment 44039

Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Office Products

Thank you TFP for these suggestions, maybe I can give back a little by passing them along.

The hair nets don't break down then? They are quite easy to tear and I was wondering if they break down and get stuck in the impeller!

The hair nets don't break down then? They are quite easy to tear and I was wondering if they break down and get stuck in the impeller!

Not in the pump basket, in the skimmer basket. And no they do t breakdown as they are spun polypropylene which is quite chemically resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.