cleaning cartridge filter

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
My basic question is why do you think I'm having to clean my cartridge filter so frequently? When clean the pressure is at about 10 psi. It seems to rise to 20 within a week or two. Granted, I could probably go longer before cleaning it but I notice a SIGNIFICANT restriction in flow at 20 psi, so I clean it then and it really is fairly dirty. Lots of stuff comes out.

I wonder if I am just really too attentive to it but for maximum skimming I prefer maximum flow. I've read people going an entire year without cleaning. I just don't think I could do that!

Perhaps your filter is undersized to your pool volume. Bigger is always better with cartridge filters.

Do you use skimmer socks to capture the big stuff? What kind of debris are you finding when you clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I'm not sure if this would help but I have a Hayward leaf canister in the vacuum hose for the creepy crawly thing. I use an old sock tucked in the strainer basket with the edges rolled over the top of the basket. When I clean out the canister basket once every 2 weeks there is a lot of fine dirt trapped in the sock. I put a fresh sock in and am glad all that dirt (mud) didn't get to the filter cartridge. When I get a dozen dirty socks, I just put them in the washing machine and re-use them.:whoot:

If the pressure is going from 10 to 20 then the filter definitely needs to be cleaned. Where is the dirt coming from? Is it blowing into the pool from an open field or something. I clean my filter about once a month and the pressure only rises by 2 psi (from 10 to 12) in that time. I have a 150 sq/ft cartridge filter. You're getting the dirt from somewhere around the pool and it needs to be cleaned that often because of the pressure rise.

If the pressure is going from 10 to 20 then the filter definitely needs to be cleaned. Where is the dirt coming from? Is it blowing into the pool from an open field or something. I clean my filter about once a month and the pressure only rises by 2 psi (from 10 to 12) in that time. I have a 150 sq/ft cartridge filter. You're getting the dirt from somewhere around the pool and it needs to be cleaned that often because of the pressure rise.

That makes sense. We don't have concrete yet and there is a ton of sand/dirt around the pool. Maybe after we get concrete it won't get so dirty. My filter is the Hayward C12002 (120 sq. ft)

yeah,
the fact that you dont have any concrete yet is a big contributor. Even after you get it, you'll find you still have to clean your filter fairly regularly though. A 120 sq ft filter isnt going to provide you a long time between cleanings.

That makes sense. We don't have concrete yet and there is a ton of sand/dirt around the pool. Maybe after we get concrete it won't get so dirty. My filter is the Hayward C12002 (120 sq. ft)

I clean my cartridge filter every 1-2 weeks. It is probably under sized, plus my pool is open air with lots of sand around the area. Oh and the 75 lb. black lab tearing through the yard and jumping in the pool on a daily basis doesn't help either. I just rinse it out with a high pressure hose nozzle. Part of my weekend routine...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cartridge filter sales in the US just went down after you posted that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.