DE vs cartrige last minute decision

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Yep a last minute decision. I was set on a 60sf DE filter when one of the PB workers told me the 580sf cartridge filter is a better filter due to it being so much larger? Said something about better flow rates and more gallons per cycle. My pool will be about 16-18k, the 60sf de filter will do 43k gallons in 6 hours the 580 SF cartridge filter does 52k gallons in the same time. Okay but if the if only filters to 10 microns vs 5 microns for DE, isn't the same dirt just being recycl the even if it's filtered more times? Max GPM on the DE filter is 120 on the cartridge filter its 150 GPM max. Now I am confused.

First, forget about turnover, it just doesn't mater for a residential pool. Read this: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Also, "max flow" really isn't important in this case because they are both way over what you would experience in any pool.

But for California, I would go with a large cartridge filter. Less backwashing/cleaning. Also a cartridge has less resistance to flow (i.e. head loss) so technically more efficient but not because of the filter type but because a DE uses a multi-port valve which has a lot of head loss. With that sized cartridge filter, you should only need to clean the filter no more than once per year. You may not need to go that large either. I have a 20k pool and a 420 sq-ft cartridge and only clean it once a year. I could get away with a 325 sq-ft filter easily and still only clean it once a year.

Yep a last minute decision. I was set on a 60sf DE filter when one of the PB workers told me the 580sf cartridge filter is a better filter due to it being so much larger? Said something about better flow rates and more gallons per cycle. My pool will be about 16-18k, the 60sf de filter will do 43k gallons in 6 hours the 580 SF cartridge filter does 52k gallons in the same time. Okay but if the if only filters to 10 microns vs 5 microns for DE, isn't the same dirt just being recycl the even if it's filtered more times? Max GPM on the DE filter is 120 on the cartridge filter its 150 GPM max. Now I am confused.

DE is the best filtration. It filters the smallest particles Cartridge is close but not quite as good. My previous pool had DE and I loved it. My new pool is nearly complete and the only reason i went to cartridge is, i do not have a place to backwash at the new house.

thanks, I called and they are switching out the DEV60SF for the CV580SF Cartridge filter. I spoke with the owner and super, both have the 580SF Jandy Cartridge filters. Yes technically the DE will filter to a smaller level, but the backwashing uses a lot of water and the larger cartridge filter is more efficent on plumbing and uses less energy. The other concern is we live near a freeway and there is dust, not like in the desert but dust still. I was wondering if we would even see the difference a DE filter would make? The consensus seemed to be from two guys with 80 years of combined pool industry experience that the larger cartridge filter was a better balance for the pool and I would most likely only need to clean it once per season with a 15-16k gallon pool. Being in California, if I can save 100-200 gallons of water twice a month from backwashing, that's a lot of water over the years.

Sound like you made the right choice. FYI- it doesn't take that much water to backwash. I have also been assured by my contractor that the cartridge will be very near de quality. You really only notice the difference in filtration at night when the pool lights are on. My previous pool was crystal clear no particles lit by the lights. I think the new cartridge filters will be very close to the same. I went with a Pentair clean and clean 520.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan7,

I think you will be happy with either one. In my opinion, backwashing is overrated. I have a couple of pools with DE filters and I break them down and clean them twice a year. I never backwash anymore. At my house, I have a large cartridge filter, which appears will only need to be cleaned twice a year. So far I have only cleaned it once. I did not calculate gallons of water used, but it appears to me that it takes about as much water to clean my four cartridges as it would to backwash a regular DE filter. It took forever... Well, maybe not forever, but just as long as it takes to breakdown a DE filter and put it back together. The main reason I have a cartridge filter is that our local city rules will not allow you to install a DE filter unless it is plumbed directly into the house waste/sewer system. Something that was not too practical for me to do.

Hopefully my cartridge cleaning ability will get better with practice.. :p

Jim R.

Many cities in CA now require a separation tank for de or sand which is just another thing you have to clean out.

So do people who have a cartridge filter have 2 cartridges- one to put in while the other is being cleaned?

My PB just recommended this. Just so you can keep the system up while you clean or put them to the side and swap and clean later. Not sure if it is good for them to dry out when they are dirty.

Plus FYI the big cartridge filters like the one mentioned above and mine actually have 4 cartridges so you would need to buy 4 extra.

I don't use an extra set of cartridges. It takes less than an hour to clean them once a year so never saw the need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I take them out when I have time to clean them. 1 hour + for me. No extra cartridges. Last time I did soak them in TSP overnight but same concept. Drop them back in the next morning.

Your pump won't be running 24/7 so no worries.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.