New to site. New Build in Rockwall, TX

Nov 20, 2015
Royse City, Tx
I found this site a few days ago and have spent WAY too much time at work reading through several threads. I have decided it was in my best interest to get opinions and suggestions from some of the more experienced people on here. My wife and I are relatively young (26 and 25) who have never owned a pool, nor have friends that do. We have two children ages 3 and 1 and my wife says its time for a pool. We are currently building a new home and decided we would do both at once. We recently met with two PB's and have a meeting with our 3rd and final next week. The initial designs and price from both builders were received this week and now we're waiting on the revisions and new $$ with each. One builder was 2K under our budget and the other 3K over. We initially wanted an attached spa but changed it to get a bigger pool, more decking and a waterfall feature for hopefully a little less money than the pool/spa combo; with the thought that we would get a detached spa later, that is much more comfortable and has more jets than anyone would ever need. We have about two acres of land outside the city limits so build restrictions and permit issues are not applicable.

My first concern after reading through the site is that we pick the right builder. I can see that there will most certainly be issues that arise but how each are handle determine the good from the bad. Price, as always, is a deciding factor but not THE deciding factor.
**If allowed on this site, I would like to list the three builders we are deciding between so that anyone in this area can give any insight they might have. I have checked Yelp, BBB, Rip-off Report, Social Media, etc. and feel confident that all are reputable companies with little to no major complaints but also know that what's online is only half the story.

Welcome to TFP Smitty! Listing PBs is not supposed to be allowed on the forum. However, if you listed your state (I'm too lazy to look up where Royse City is) then someone from that area who has some knowledge of PBs would probably be happy to help you.
There are some really smart and helpful people here! I know they have helped me tremendously, so I'm sure someone will be here to help you soon!

You should also ask your PB in question for recommendations from other pools they have built in your area.

I will have to look for the list of questions to be weaved into the conversations with the PB.

Kim

I saw your list of 78 questions earlier this week and used a few that pertained to us when meeting with the second builder last night. Thank you for that. Although the portable restroom for contractors was not one of them ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: We have a signed contract and ready to get the ball rolling. Weather hasn't been kind the last month so we're still waiting to break ground on the house itself, but we have our PB in place for when we do.

acdc169a7ec0bfff4cc42961ae0f4b47.jpg
9f356501a127d67923cae476d64dfe95.jpg
5fd6e1be69405bdba1ec24ff7632d358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A lot of the reason I posted so many pictures, I encourage feedback of any kind. We don't require permits or inspections where we are and I have never had a pool built. I want others that know more than I do, to point out things I otherwise wouldn't know to ask. That said, is there a reason to be concerned about the beam being built on grass?
I wouldn't be real happy that they're building the raised beam of the spa on grass.

You wouldn't pour a driveway or sidewalk across the lawn either. Concrete should be on undisturbed soil FREE OF organic material. Doesn't look like you've got much bottom cover on the rebar either. You should have at least 2" concrete between rebar and soil. Three is better. Probably isn't the end of the world but not the best way IMHO.

Some info on the equipment/options. Just want pros and cons of any from those with experience.

Coping: Oklahoma muilti color flagstone
Tile: Undecided standard 6"
Skimmers: 2
Decking- 560 sq.ft salt finish concrete

* Pentair Whisperflow 2hp pump
* 520 sq.ft. Pentair cartridge filter
* Rainbow 320 automatic chlorinator
* Pentair racer pool cleaner with booster pump
* Blue quartz plaster upgrade
* Pentair LED light upgrade
* Easy touch pool computer with I-phone modem upgrade
* SPA - 6 jets. 2Hp Air blower. 400k BTU LP gas heater

Thanks in advance!

Ask the PB about making the pump a 2 speed pump. You can run it on low speed for most of your filtering needs and save a lot of money on electricity. An Intelliflo variable speed pump would be even better.

The rainbow chlorinator uses trichlor pucks. It is OK to use pucks to chlorinate but they add quite a bit of CYA so you have to monitor your CYA and when it gets too high you will need to do a partial drain to lower your CYA. More here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Make sure there is one skimmer downwind of the fall wind and one for the spring wind. They will work a lot better sorking with the wind.

Looking forward to seeing your build - congrats on getting the process going!!

I recommend a robot cleaner versus the pressure cleaner with booster pump. Many conversations on here with that sentiment.

560 SQ FT of decking isn't a ton when you think about having your kids little league teams over for a picnic, etc. Or if you have a big family for gatherings. I certainly understand budget issues, but with all of your wide open space, it just seems to beg for
more deck space - or at least planned for in the future (but this is always more expensive and doesn't blend like you'd want it to).

Looking forward to seeing your build - congrats on getting the process going!!

I recommend a robot cleaner versus the pressure cleaner with booster pump. Many conversations on here with that sentiment.

560 SQ FT of decking isn't a ton when you think about having your kids little league teams over for a picnic, etc. Or if you have a big family for gatherings. I certainly understand budget issues, but with all of your wide open space, it just seems to beg for
more deck space - or at least planned for in the future (but this is always more expensive and doesn't blend like you'd want it to).

Thank you for the feedback. I too have read a lot about the robot -- pressure cleaner debate on here and decided that I'd go with the pressure-side cleaner with the option to always switch to the robot if need be (I don't know what I'd need to do to eliminate the pressure cleaner, but I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly difficult to cap/eliminate??) . The decking is smaller than I'd like, but we do have an additional 300 sq.ft of back porch that should make it more manageable, I hope. You are correct... budget is the driving factor with nearly every decision unfortunately :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.