Trichlor pucks or bleach in winter months

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
My pool is remaining "open", I've removed my SWG for the winter and I'm trying to decide whether or not to use bleach to maintain my FC (btw, do I need to maintain it at the same level as during the summer?) or use Trichlor pucks. My only concern with the pucks is raising my CYA so high that when I "open" the pool I've got to drain water to reduce the level.

Any tips here?

I would use bleach. Using trichlor will elevate your CYA level, then you'll need to drain in the spring to lower it back down. Bleach is not as convenient but will prevent problems. If you have a cover of any kind, you can eliminate some sun exposure to reduce chlorine degradation so that you can likely go longer between testing/dosing.

You should maintain the minimum FC at least for a manually chlorinated pool at your current CYA. So likely 5-6 ppm FC if your CYA is 60-80. Below 60 degrees you shouldn't be losing much FC per day, even better if you can cover.

Question - why did you remove the SWG? Do you get hard freezes?

I leave my SWG attached and just run my pumps in the afternoon so that the pool water is warmer and I'm more likely not to get hit by the cold water cut-off on the IC40. I'm only running at 3 hr/day and 20% output on the cell and my FC is still too high (9.2ppm last time I checked).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

My pool is remaining "open", I've removed my SWG for the winter and I'm trying to decide whether or not to use bleach to maintain my FC (btw, do I need to maintain it at the same level as during the summer?) or use Trichlor pucks. My only concern with the pucks is raising my CYA so high that when I "open" the pool I've got to drain water to reduce the level.

Any tips here?

Why remove the SWG at all living in vegas? I don't really understand the purpose of that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.