Water Level Too High When Fiberglass Pool Was Closed (Escaping through Skimmer)

lcd98

Aug 30, 2015
Middletown, NJ
On Wednesday, I had my new fiberglass pool closed for the first time and had a Loop-Loc Super Mesh cover installed. Instead of using my pool builder, I used a local pool company who provided a quote for a seemingly better cover at a more reasonable rate. Even my pool builder said it was a good deal and that I should go for it. I asked a lot of questions to ensure they knew how to close fiberglass pools. I had arranged for the technicians to arrive in the afternoon so that I could be home when they came but they arrived early while I was still at work. In spite of the fact that the pool company advised that the water level in the pool should be at mid-skimmer, the pool technicians closed the pool without lowering the water level. When I questioned the pool technician when I arrived home (as he was packing up), he said it shouldn't be a problem. However, I am very concerned because the water level was already at the top of the skimmer because I had assumed the filter would be backwashed during the closing (which it was not). If backwashing and cleaning the filter was not part of the closing, I feel they should have at least drained the pool to mid-skimmer per their own company's guidance. After only one rainy day, the water level rose high enough to escape out of my skimmer and there is water sitting in the center of the pool cover. I am extremely concerned that the water level is too high and wonder if I should buy a sump pump and remove a corner of the cover to pump out the excess water. However, I am concerned that I will be pumping out needed chemicals with no way to add them back since the filter is no longer running. Attached are photos of the water level in the skimmer and the parts of the cover with water sitting on it (even though it is mesh and the water should be filtering into the pool which I believe is another indication the pool water is too high). I would appreciate any advice you could provide. Note that I live in NJ so I have to worry about freeze-thaw cycles.

Thanks,
Laura

IMG_7035.jpgIMG_7036.jpgIMG_7037.jpg

If you have a mesh safety cover, then I would recommend removing some water out of the pool with a separate pump. Additionally, you have no Gizmo in the skimmer to absorb ice expansion, which could lead to cracks in the skimmer. It is suggested you place Styrofoam in the skimmers. You could purchase a gallon of RV Antifreeze for swimming pools and split the gallon into separate smaller containers and use those as well to protect the skimmers. Regarding pumping out chemicals, I would not be overly concerned about this. Most chemicals are reasonably priced, outside liquid CYA Stabilizer.

Next year, have them come out on a weekend to close your pool. By then, you may be closing your own pool to save $$$$. I no longer use any PB, but close my own pool with the Cyclone. By next year, I already would break even and be ahead of the game.

Thanks for your advice. The pool company came back on Monday and pumped out water so that it was mid-skimmer. I do believe they installed gizmo in the skimmer (see original pictures). Fingers crossed I won't have any problems when we open the pool in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.