Brushing- skimmer off or makes no difference

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
My one jandy valve splits the skimmer & drain line, so I assume if one is Off then the other has more power/suction? If yes, when we brush we are after the debris getting to the filter- is this better acheived by the drain? So turning the skimmer off while brushing ( and maybe 5-10 min afterwards) is a bit better or makes no difference? I think of the skimmer as as surface region cleaner.

Thanks

You are right on all counts, I'm not sure if one setting is better than the other? I think the point of brushing is to keep the "icky stuff" suspended and not sitting on the floor, thereby making it easier for the filter to get it out of the water. I usually have mine on 50/50.

We'll occasionally turn the bottom drain on full, and the kids and I will make a 'whirlpool', while I brush towards the center....sucks everything down and I rarely have to vacume. Then I switch back to 50/50. Works great, but we look a little silly. Kids love it though :mrgreen:

That they do. I remember as a kid doing that all the time and it was so much fun. We however did not have a drain. Dad just put the vac head down in the middle and it all just disapeared. The most fun was reversing direction when done and trying to go against the current.

frustratedpoolmom said:
We'll occasionally turn the bottom drain on full, and the kids and I will make a 'whirlpool', while I brush towards the center....sucks everything down and I rarely have to vacume. Then I switch back to 50/50. Works great, but we look a little silly. Kids love it though :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.