Polaris Booster pump leaks after replacing seal and impeller

Bob123

Aug 8, 2015
Arlington/TX
Hi, I accidentally let my left my filter in backwash mode and the pump run dry for a few minutes. After adding water and starting it back up, I could see that the booster pump was spraying water.

I took it to our local pool store and they replaced the seal. I reconnected it and same problem. I read that maybe the impeller was damaged by the heat.

I bought a kit and replaced the seal, the impeller and the o-rings. I reconnected it and same problem.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is the ceramic piece supposed to be flush with the hole it's in. It sticks out a little. I don't want to force it.

I've seen one video suggest putting silicon caulk around the outside of the spring piece before knocking it into the hole. Is that necessary ?

It's 15 years old. Do I need to replace it ?

Thanks.

I can't help you make the decision to replace or not. I can say that pressure side (booster pump) cleaners are becoming a thing of the past.

Robots offer quite a bit more advantages and it might be a good time to consider a complete switchover.

There is an older model PB4-60 and a newer model PB4-60. The newer model (PB4-60s after serial number PB120111001) uses part number R0445500 (Polaris Mechanical Seal) whereas the older model (PB4-60s prior to serial number M120111001) use part number P55 (Polaris Seal, Stainless Steel Cup and Spring).

For the older model, the stainless steel cup goes in the bracket/seal plate with the black graphite part pointing out. The rubber part goes in the impeller with the ceramic sticking out. A 1" PVC coupling fits perfectly over the cup to help insert the stainless cup into the bracket/seal plate.

For the newer model, the rubber part goes in the backplate/sealplate/bracket with the ceramic sticking out, while the spring part goes on the impeller with the black graphite part sticking out.

Note: New model Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pumps have Serial Numbers beginning with "PB" and a manufacturing date on or after Dec 1, 2011.

Older models of the PB4-60 Booster Pumps were discontinued as of Nov 30, 2011.

HowTo: Change the pump seal on a Polaris Booster Pump poolplaza.com - YouTube
Video of older model seal replacement.

[COLOR=#3E3E3E said:
Bob123[/COLOR]; I've seen one video suggest putting silicon caulk around the outside of the spring piece before knocking it into the hole. Is that necessary ?

New to the forum... This response is late for Bob123 but might be of help to someone else in the future.

Note1: I believe that I have the older model PB4 booster pump

I recently had the same problem as Bob123. I replaced two different sets of seals and o-rings. Still had water leaking from the back side of the shaft seal. What ended up fixing the issue was to carefully apply some aquarium silicone caulk around the inside of the bracket hole prior to knocking in the spring piece (back half of the shaft seal). Be careful to not apply too much! After tapping in the seal with the 1" PVC coupling, clean up excess silicon that squeezes out the back end (side that is visible after assembly). I left a little bit of a bead of silicone on the back end as that is where I had seen water coming out. The front end should not show ANY excess caulk at all as this is the side that mates to the ceramic impeller shaft seal. I believe that the design relies on the spring piece mating to the bracket with a watertight seal. I lubricated all o-rings with pool lube (eg. Leslie's Pool & Spa Lube or Magic Lube). Re-assemble. LET THE SILICONE CURE FOR 24 HOURS. Note2: This procedure may make it difficult to replace the bracket shaft seal (spring seal) in the future! I was willing to take this risk as I had the leaking issue regardless of the new seals. Worst case, I purchase a new bracket (~$37) prior to next shaft seal replacement. Power up the PB4 on the next day and check for leaks. This procedure did the trick for me.

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.