Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Is it advisable to use a specific kind of umbrella sleeve for inside the pool, i.e., brass vs plastic? I'm planning on using the colored plastic ones for the decking, but wondered if it would be worth upgrading for inside the pool?

Thanks!

Our PB used a plastic sleeve. When shopping for umbrellas, we made sure to buy a wooden shaft umbrella to avoid water chemistry conflicts.
Good luck
Watch out using wood in the pool, the wood will swell from absorbing the water and if the fit is close the umbrella shaft will get stuck inside the sleeve.

I use umbrellas that have aluminum poles.

Go with the plastic sleeves.

These are the cheapest I've found. They come in different colors, I think: AQUA STAR DRAINS | 7" UMBRELLA SLEEVE | TAN | US108

Or these: WATERWAY VOLLEYBALL / UMBRELLA POLE BEIGE (TAN) Part number 540-6709BEIOPT 7270-14

I looked again at the links I'd saved for the metal sleeves and they are actually bronze and not brass, but that probably doesn't make a difference for chemistry concerns. I will probably go with the plastic ones everywhere to save money, except maybe for the volleyball sleeves where the manufacturer may call for a specific metal type. Those will be on the decking though, so not an issue in the water.

I have 14 of these in my pool/decking (the PVC units) and they're great. We use the metal umbrellas and didn't have any issues this season. One word of warning, after they put the sleeves in be sure to place the insert and cap on immediately, I didn't and next spring I'm going to have quite the mess to clean-up inside each of these.

It is possible to use brass/bronze sleeves under water (depends on proper alloy selection) but probably not the front-up choice for a pool. Plastic sleeves, even though they probably would not last as long as metal, are more inert and thus a better choice.

As for pole material choice - will this be a salt water pool? If so, then you should not use bare metal poles. If the pole is made out of aluminum, you'll want to ensure it either has an anodized coating on it (nano-scale, porous aluminum oxide coating that is electrochemically formed and can be colored) OR that the aluminum has a high quality powder coating (thermally sprayed oxide coating). Bare aluminum in salt water will corrode over time at the waterline around the pole. Anodizing or powder coating creates a barrier to corrosion. Cheap painted pole coatings will not last more than a season or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Watch out using wood in the pool, the wood will swell from absorbing the water and if the fit is close the umbrella shaft will get stuck inside the sleeve.

I use umbrellas that have aluminum poles.

Go with the plastic sleeves.

We've not had any issues except that finding a compatible size was rough. We remove the umbrella when done in pool, so it hasn't swelled up enough to matter. Found our umbrella on Lowes website. Our sleeve is PVC and measure a little under 1.75".
Just our scenario, works for us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.