Circuit board repair

I have a pool and spa pump control model number PSC2202 which is now obsolete. There is a circuit board in the control with the following numbers on it:

HPP#1102303201 and 1161-100-SA.

On the circuit board are two rotary switches that appear to be 4 position single pole. One of the switches is intermittent when I press on it. Does anyone know where I could purchase these switches or where I would find components for this board? A new system to replace my obsolete controller is very expensive.

Thanks for any help.

Google the HPP# and a couple of pricey boards show up for sale on eBay. I really doubt those switches would have been normally replaceable so I think it's going to take some further sleuthing to get replacements.

Somewhere on those switches is probably a manufacturer's logo or part number or name. Maybe on the bottom, so they'll have to be unsoldered to see.

Looking at the pad layouts, I wonder if those are just 4 position switches or if they're 4 bit "digital" switches. Do the switches just stop at 4 positions or do they continuously rotate, possibly for multiple turns? If you post pictures of the switches they may be recognizable as being from a major manufacturer.

Thank-you very much for the feedback. I Googled the board part numbers and came up empty. There is a number on the switch (50K306ME) and I posted a photo. I could not come up with anything on this switch either. I have quite a lot of experience replacing components on a circuit board so if I could find this switch I could easily replace it. If I knew the details on the switch, I could come up with a different type and slave it into the circuit. I may be at a dead end. I appreciate you replaying back.

IMG_1948.jpg

Great idea, I have some contact cleaner that I will try. It doesnt look like a sealed switch. I believe the swtich is a wafer switch that connects a 50K resistor to the circuit. I have given up looking for the switch so if the contact cleaner works I will be a happy camper. Thank-you for the idea. ;)

Sure looks like there are raised letter markings on the top surface of the pots. What do those markings say?

Don't agree it's a wafer switch. The reference designations used for those 2 components are VR1 and VR2, indicating they are Variable Resistors, not switches. Agree with ewkearns that they are likely 50KΩ pots.

Your board is a completely different version from the 1102303201 boards shown in eBay. As 1herm4 said, yours is a single sided board and the eBay ones are clearly double sided or multilayer.

The pots on your board have very standard pot lead patterns however the one's on eBay have very oddball patterns. Seems like you could easily get some replacement 50K pots to replace what you got. A simple ohmmeter test likely would verify they were 50K ohm pots.

Good luck.

Thank-you gtemkin. There are three leads through the board and the switch has 4 positions. The OEM appears to be Piher in Spain but I have had no luck through any of their distributors or cross reference. I will be removing the board tomorrow to try contact cleaner and as you say a meter will tell me if it is a variable pot. If it is a potentiometer I will be able to slave a sub in. I am definately not an electronic expert so I appreciate the guidance on the desigantion VR1 VR2, makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.