Start of season numbers...

Jun 1, 2008
Hello all,

After a tough season last summer (my first) with three bouts of algae (that required lots and lots of shocking with a CYA at that time of 70), I want to make sure that I am keeping on top of everything this year. The pool is in-ground, approx 6400 gallons, concrete?, and has a sand filter (old and I don't know its rate). First of all, I rent this house so certain repair issues are not up to me. The only one now is a slow leak in an o-ring (on the selector for backwash, rinse, waste, filter, etc) that causes a slow loss of water. Due to this slow loss of water through the winter, my CYA dropped to 0. I now have it back up to 30. My numbers in total:

FC 3.5
CC 0.0
pH 7.5
CYA 30
T/A 180
CH 380
Temp 82

Over the winter (or what is called winter in Laredo), I brought the T/A down from 290 using acid. I will assume that with the T/A at 180 that it would be a good idea to keep dropping it. Also, I will assume that my pH kept rising to 8.0 or 8.2 due to the T/A level.

I am using triclor for chlorine since I am constantly losing water. I will be monitoring CYA regularly and my plan is to switch to bleach when CYA reaches about 40-50. Shocking is with bleach. The fill water has a CH between 280 and 300. Anyone have any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks for the input,

Steven

You should continue lowering TA. As things are, you are uncomfortably close to a risk of calcium scaling. Keeping the PH from getting way to high, and continuing to lower the TA should take care of that.

Other than that, things look good! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.