Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start of season numbers...

1. Back To Top    #1

Start of season numbers...

Hello all,

After a tough season last summer (my first) with three bouts of algae (that required lots and lots of shocking with a CYA at that time of 70), I want to make sure that I am keeping on top of everything this year. The pool is in-ground, approx 6400 gallons, concrete?, and has a sand filter (old and I don't know its rate). First of all, I rent this house so certain repair issues are not up to me. The only one now is a slow leak in an o-ring (on the selector for backwash, rinse, waste, filter, etc) that causes a slow loss of water. Due to this slow loss of water through the winter, my CYA dropped to 0. I now have it back up to 30. My numbers in total:

FC 3.5
    CC 0.0
    pH 7.5
    CYA 30
    T/A 180
    CH 380
    Temp 82

Over the winter (or what is called winter in Laredo), I brought the T/A down from 290 using acid. I will assume that with the T/A at 180 that it would be a good idea to keep dropping it. Also, I will assume that my pH kept rising to 8.0 or 8.2 due to the T/A level.

I am using triclor for chlorine since I am constantly losing water. I will be monitoring CYA regularly and my plan is to switch to bleach when CYA reaches about 40-50. Shocking is with bleach. The fill water has a CH between 280 and 300. Anyone have any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks for the input,

Steven

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Start of season numbers...

You should continue lowering TA. As things are, you are uncomfortably close to a risk of calcium scaling. Keeping the PH from getting way to high, and continuing to lower the TA should take care of that.

Other than that, things look good!
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info...yes, before I began to lower the TA, the pH would always rise to 8.0 or 8.2. I would assume that at some point with a lower TA, the pH will stabilize?

Steven

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the PH will nearly always stabilize once you get the TA down enough. The major exception is that plaster that is less than one year old will continue to rise the PH even when the TA is low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School