Changed o-ring on filter, leaks under pressure

May 12, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I have a Pentair CCP320 Cartridge Filter system and recently had to replace the large o-ring that sits between the top and bottom halves because the old one got stretched and wouldn't say in place for clamping.

After replacement, I've been unable to get it to seal under the high speed pressure. I get copious amounts of spray around the metal band clamp. It seems to seal well enough for low speed running, but I'd obviously like it to work for both. Even though it looks similar to what I had before, it seems to me like the new o-ring isn't thick enough because it looks like the top and bottom halves end up almost touching each other. I've tightened the metal clamp more than I previously had to, to the point I'm afraid to go more. The old o-ring had actually developed a flat side. I'm assuming it was originally as round as the one I just bought.

This is the o-ring I bought: Pentair 39010200 Tank Clamp O-Ring Replacement Pool and Spa Filter

I did lube the o-ring with magic lube, but that hasn't helped.

I checked for cracks in the lid and didn't spot any. As I'm typing this, I'm not sure if I checked the bottom for cracks, so I'll have to do that. Any other thoughts if that's not it?

I have tried that. I can try it again. I"m afraid I've probably overtightened the band clamp because I think you're supposed to stop when the spring closes entirely, which I think I've had to go past just to get it to tighten at low speed pressure.

Funny you should ask. Last weekend I pulled out the o-ring I got and it was .470in in diameter. The old o-ring is no longer round, but it varies from .49in to .55. I see that at some point they switched from a 7/16" o-ring to a 1/2", so I ordered a 1/2" to try that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.