Using tarp instead of safety cover

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Hello,

I have an in-ground, free-form pool, and my Loop Loc pool cover has become just about useless. The safety cover isn't doing a good job of keeping dirt out anymore. Too much has worn away. I bought a tarp-type pool cover because we can't afford to buy a new safety cover right now. No kids or animals to worry about, so I don't really need to have a safety cover. It isn't pretty, but I think it works. Here is a picture:

i-DtF45St-S.jpg

My husband thinks this is NOT going to work. He wants to put the safety cover on, and then lay the tarp over top. He thinks that having the cover dip down to the water level is a problem. I keep trying to tell him that the water below will push up on the cover, and any snow or rain will just sit on top. He isn't convinced. I do not want to go to the trouble of taking the tarp off, putting on the safety cover, and then putting the tarp on top. Can anyone help me convince him this is okay?

I am wondering how you know when you have to pump off any water sitting on top. I'm sure a couple of inches of water isn't a problem, but more than that? If I just leave the tarp on, will I end up pumping water off of it constantly? I've never used a tarp before, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Kelley

I've been covering my mesh safety cover with a tarp style cover for years. It keep the pool MUCH cleaner and blocks light to help prevent algae growth.

I pump water off anytime there's more than a couple inches of water on it. I've never had a problem with this setup.

Btw, for reference, I don't lower the water level in the winter.

That said, other than the safety issue, there's nothing wrong with the way you have it now. Just keep too much water from accumulating on the tarp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.