New build in Sierra Vista, AZ ( SE of Tucson 70 miles)

Jul 8, 2015
Sierra Vista, AZ
Hello all,

The crew is staking out our new build as I type, we are so excited to be able to do this project for our family. Here is a before picture, and also a picture of the design. After they put the paint down and explained that would be the dig area and the water area would be 1' less all around, I asked how much to include an extra foot around the entire pool. The price seemed reasonable, so we will now have a 34x22, instead of 32x20.... I just thought it looked too small after I seen it, but I'm sure that is common, we felt the same way when they were forming up our house.

Attachments

• 20151114_113004.jpg
    20151114_113004.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Ohnstad_003.jpg
    Ohnstad_003.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 408
Looks nice! I go to Sierra Vista frequently for work. I'm building right now, my pool is 39x34 and I also thought it looked small at layout. That all changed after the dig. Btw you have a huge yard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice! I go to Sierra Vista frequently for work. I'm building right now, my pool is 39x34 and I also thought it looked small at layout. That all changed after the dig. Btw you have a huge yard!!!

Yeah, we live on 4 acres, but only have a small part of that fenced in. I've been following your build thread, your pool looks like it's turning out great, it won't be long and you'll be enjoying your finished product. Good to know it seems smaller when first laid out, I'm feeling pretty good about the size now.

Wow! What a view and congratulations on your new project! OMG, I could stare at those mountains all day long. It's so exciting, right?!!!

I like your pool design and great call on making it bigger. I wish I had had the yard to go twice the size of my pool!!! I'm a greedy girl!! Lol!!! That is awesome how the sheer descent comes down from stairs!!! That's too cool. How deep is your pool? The top of the steps above the sheer descent is going to be a tempting place to dive from!!! or CANNONBALL!!!!!!!!

When will you be able to swim after the pool is finished? I mean, is your swim season all year or when will the new season begin???

Take care,
Suz.

Goodie! A new build to follow! FUN!

That waterfall DOES look like a purrfect jumping area BUT I notice your pool is only listed as 6' deep. Is that going to be deep enough to jump or cannon ball safely from? I know it is not deep enough for diving but not sure about the other activities. If you have kids or "active" adults you might want to rethink one or the other.

Kim

Suz we are not used to someone "following directions" right off the bat! LOL They did a great job on adding their pool info in their siggy!

I can't wait to see this one built. That area looks purrfect for a pool!

Kim

Suz we are not used to someone "following directions" right off the bat! LOL They did a great job on adding their pool info in their siggy!

I can't wait to see this one built. That area looks purrfect for a pool!

Kim

Yes, a huge thank you to Lastdon for that great signature!

Kim knows why I've been laughing over my flub.... I've been grumbling lately about people not having signatures so I can find their specs, equipment, and materials. And what did old Suz do? She skipped over Lastdon's signature and asked for info already posted! I'll blame it on my age and declining brain cells...

I can't wait to see more pictures!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! What a view and congratulations on your new project! OMG, I could stare at those mountains all day long. It's so exciting, right?!!!

I like your pool design and great call on making it bigger. I wish I had had the yard to go twice the size of my pool!!! I'm a greedy girl!! Lol!!! That is awesome how the sheer descent comes down from stairs!!! That's too cool. How deep is your pool? The top of the steps above the sheer descent is going to be a tempting place to dive from!!! or CANNONBALL!!!!!!!!

When will you be able to swim after the pool is finished? I mean, is your swim season all year or when will the new season begin???

Take care,
Suz.

Suz,

The deep end will be 6', which from what I can tell should be fine for jumping/cannonballs (a main reason for the stepped up area), but we're going to have a no diving rule for sure. The pool is estimated to be finished by early to mid January, so even though we have the heat pump heater, I'm guessing we won't be swimming till closer to March. That will give me plenty of time to get a handle on water testing/quality, and also make sure all plaster dust is gone before using the heater (recommended I read).

Yes we are spoiled with our views, the sunsets here are amazing! Thank you all for the help so far, I've been reading page after page for the past few months and feel much better prepared for this endeavor.

Here's a layout of my pool, I'm considering a glo-brite led light in the back of the lagoon area, pointing out into the shallow end. I was hoping it would of course light the lagoon area, but also help light the shallow area since the main light is in the deep area. I also considered another Intellibrite 5G, but that wouldn't be able to light the lagoon area since it has to be mounted 21" below I believe. Any thoughts from the experts out there? Thanks!20151119_012853-640x360.jpg

Thoughts on lights as a whole. You do not want the light pointing so that someone sitting on the bench at night is looking right into the light, no light in face in the swim lane if you want to swim laps at night, no light facing the house/sitting area.

Saying that I would move the one light you have to the left some (towards the curved sitting area). That would move it out of the swim lane but it will no be shining right at the bench.

I would add a light by the lagoon just past the where the line of the lagoon meets the curved sitting area OR get one of these for the sitting area:

http://www.wayfair.com/TransGlobe-Lighting-Outdoor-3-Light-30-Post-Lantern-Set-5428-AR-L6113-K~TGL1636.html?refid=GX50899309020-TGL1636_10280143&device=c&ptid=75700360740&PiID[]=10280143&gclid=CIGwo5ypnMkCFYGDaQodz-kKoA

Happy thinking!

Kim

My original design was from a major pool builder and only had I Pentail intelli brite led. When switched to an owner build with the help of my friend who has been building pools for years, he told me that the lighting I planned would not light the whole pool, especially the Baja shelves. So I switched from 1 intelli brite to 4 savi melodies. However during the build we switched to Pentair globrites. I have one light in each shelf and 2 light under ranch shelf to light the main pool body. All face away from house toward back of pool and the raised beam.

Hopefully it turns out! Pebble is today, we still have a few other things to do before startup so we are prob not going to fill till Saturday.

I would put one or two small lights in the lagoon and a large light at the bottom of the lagoon steps. I would move the one light closer to the house by 5 to 10 feet so it's in the middle of the curve.

Get color LEDs they are worth it.

So, I've been quoted $450 per globrite, and $750 per Intellibrite 5g. I'm trying to work with budget, so I'm limiting my choices to:

1. 2 Intellibrite 5g lights

2. 1 Intellibrite 5g, and 1 globrite in the shelf area

3. 3 glowbrites, maybe 4 if this is the overall best option

Any opinions other than the ones already given? Also, location of light opinions would be great too. I've tried to find as many pictures of pools.at night as I could, but they are kinda hard to come by, feel free to share them as well. Thanks so much for your help, this forum has been great, what did we do before the Internet?

If you go all Globrites and you think you'll need 4, go with 5! May want to 1 intellibrite and a globrite in the shelf. If I would have done one more globrite, my pool would go from excellent to spectacular!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.