Green is back, help!

Dippa

Oct 31, 2015
Melbourne , Australia
Hi just did a slam ( see previous thread "Slam now or wait"
started 7 days ago , in summary had a CYA 60 and slammed at FC 24. Passed A no CC, B OCLT loss <1ppm and water clear so Tuesday 10nov waited for FC to drift down to target 4. Wednesday 11Nov FC 21.5 OK, Thurdays 12Nov FC 18 OK, Friday I was away, Today Saturday 13 NOVEMBER FC 16 but when brush wall getting green. Water looks clear.
i have filtered for 8-10 hours per day, brushed everyday except Friday and vacuumed every second day.
What did I do Wrong?
I'm still waiting for my K-2006 kit so cannot give you other tests with certainty. My other kit has pH 7.5 & TA 60.

Hi Dippa,

So you mean that when you brush the wall the water goes green? Your FC seems to be holding up relatively well (I'm assuming you haven't added any chlorine). As it will be getting dark there shortly maybe perform another OCLT test tonight to see if you pass.

More brushing-----try for twice a day to help get it into the water to be killed.

Have you cleaned EVERYTHING? light, steps, around returns and skimmer with a toothbrush?

You are not done with your SLAM. You have algae hiding somewhere. It might be just a tiny bit but..........it is there some where.

Good luck finding it! Keep your FC at SLAM level and run the pump 24/7 during the SLAM please.

Kim

Did you take the light OUT! We had one pool that could not get the green monster gone......water looked okay BUT once the SLAM was stopped the light green dusting kept coming back. He took his light out and.................YUCK! He got that all cleaned out and he was able to finish his SLAM and his water looks like a jewel now!

I bet your test kit will make the difference as well. You might find you are not really getting to and hold the SLAM level like you need to to kill the algae all the way.

Kim

No I haven't taken the lights out , it might be done as a last resort as I'm about to re commence the SLAM. I have added liq chlorine today to raise FC for SLAM. Because I have difficulty in determining the end point of the CYA test I'm thinking tomorrow morning I will do a vacuum to waste to reduce water so I can lower the CYA to manage the FC. The CYA test is between 50 and 70 so I have averaged to 60 but I think this may not be a good strategy as I should properly err on the high side. So I will try to get the CYA down to 50 before continuing to a SLAM.
i have just spent the last 2 hours brushing the pool several times, OMG its exhausting work.

Also , maybe I have the Mustard algae as it starts to show up on the shaded walls ???

I'm still waiting for the K-2006 kit, still waiting for a reply from US supplier. So have ordered more FAS-DPD and CYA test kits from Australian supplier Clear Choice Labs to keep me going for now.
i need to get pool right this week as I will be away soon for 2 weeks and no one to look after the pool.

Dippa. I highly recommend getting that light out- when I had my algae problem at the beginning of the year I had a clear pool but couldn't hold FC and when conducting my SLAM I couldn't pass OCLT. When I took out the light it was algae city- literally large strands of it. Once I cleared that up I passed the OCLT within a day.

Oh and also unscrew the fittings on return jets and skimmer faceplate which should unclip off- these are also good hiding spots for algae. But anything in the pool that can be unscrewed off or unclipped need a good brushing.

The lights sit about 400mm below water line so I should be able drain water for that. I'm assuming it's a matter of unscrewing light fitting, is there usually any silicone or water seal to worry about?
as for return vents they are low and would require most of pool to be emptied!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it will probably be a phillips head screw usually sits at the top of the light fitting. Should just be able to reach over the edge of the pool and unscrew, the light fitting will just pop out and if properly installed will have a long enough cable so that you can just pull it up over the edge of the pool and work on it out of the pool. Shouldn't have any silicone. Unscrew any parts on the back of the fitting once you have pulled it out and look for any hidden algae. Brush it with a diluted chlorine solution.

Can you just reach over and unscrew your return jet fittings?

So you are saying that I can unscrew light fittings whilst underwater?
I got confused the return jets are at same level as lights but cannot see how to remove fitting

image.jpg2_zps8paqfg3k.jpg
[/URL]

With your light depending on how it's wired to your pool you just disable the power supply. The easiest way is to turn off the breaker to the pool in your meter box or if you are unsure which one is the right one and it makes you feel safer just turn off the main power switch in the meter box. Other than that you should be fine to take it off.
Your return jet covers should just unscrew by using your hand unless they are bound by non use, which may require you to use something like a strap wrench to loosen them off. You can get one of those from Bunnings for less than $10.

Ok. I've got this image that water will get in the back of light cavity and cause problem. I have 'Britestream multicoloured LED niche light" and if someone can tell me it's ok to remove whilst under water I will do it. Otherwise I will need to call Waterco .
Sorry just being cautious but very much appreciate your input Jezza.
thanks

No won't be a problem Dippa- just make sure you turn the power off. I had a quick look at your model light from Waterloo. The manual if your interested is on the Waterco website. Your light cover it seems has 2 side screws not one like others- so that is what you need to unscrew off and then it should come off which you just lift off over the side of the pool.

Ok Jezza. I've contacted Waterco and they have recommended an electrician or pool builder. I'm waiting for pool builder to get back to me. As the pool is less than 12 months old I want to make sure I don't void warranty if I do it. It's not ideal but I want to check with him.
Finally got notice my Taylor k-2006 has been shipped today. It will probably arrive whilst I'm away.

Pulled out niche pool lights today. Yes, found some algae but not a lot. Cleaned them out and now waiting to see if can maintain FC. Multiple pool scrubbing today. Filtration to run 24/7.
Still having trouble determining CYA end point. Get between 50 and 70. Will take it as 70 to be on conservative side. So FC 28. After slam I will do a mustard algae FC a of 39 and let it drift down as I will be away for 2 weeks.

Will help things getting that algae out behind the niche. How is the water looking and is there is any 'green'? How is your SLAM testing regime going and are how much FC are you losing between tests. Ideally if you can complete the SLAM before you go away that would definitely be ideal. Do you also have a solar pool cover/blanket?

You may find that with a high level of FC it will come down fairly quickly and with warmer weather upon us I doubt whether FC of 39 is going to last the distance for 2 weeks without any further chlorine additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.