Filter Cartridge Pressure Rises Quickly

Nov 6, 2015
Houston TX
Hi Everyone,

i have been seeing a pressure rise in my filter cartridge of 15 PSI in only 24 hours of run time. When I shock the pool or have higher loads on the filter it can last as little as 8 hours. When I soak the cartridge in dish soap and water, I spray it off with a water stream. The solids coming off of the filter looks like Brown sand. I assume this is related to Algae being filtered out, but not sure.

When I put clean filters in the pressure is 13 psi and then I change the filter when it gets to 25. The filters never look too dirty, but it is hard to tell for fine dirt. Is now a good time to try and acid wash as the filters are at the end of their life anyway or is there something I can try to get a longer run rate from them? There are 4 80sq ft cartridge. I'm not sure if they are sized appropriately o not, but they are the originals with the house I bought so it was the designed filter.

How does your water/pool look? What are the results of your last water test and when was it?

Do you have the model number of the filter? Have you checked to make sure they ARE the correct ones for your filter?

How long have you had the house?

Have you tried cleaning them in TSP overnight?

Sorry for more questions than answers LOL

Kim

The solids coming off of the filter looks like Brown sand. I assume this is related to Algae being filtered out, but not sure.

If your pressure is rising that much in that short period of time, something is going on in the pool. As Kim mentioned, please post up results? How does the water look? It sounds like pressure is building up because water is not passing through the elements like normal. Either a deep clean is necessary or possible replacement of cartridges.

If you search the Forum, you will find a few threads on how members cleaned out their cartridge filters.

Here is the

FC 6.5
TAC 6.5
CH 250
CYA 35
TA 100
pH 7.4
Copper 0
Iron 0
PHO 500

I just did a drain and refill and balanced the chemistry. I was seeing high pressure's before the drain and thought it was related to Algae that I had trouble controlling. I read Pool School and got help on the form to bring my CYA down to more effectively SLAM the pool. I was hoping this would help my filters as there would be less to filter. The pool at this point is clear with no Algae in it (that I can see). Both sets of filters last the same length of time which means they both either failed at the same time or it is a different problem.

To answer the other questions, I have had the house for 2 months now so this is all new to me. I don't know the model number but will look when I get home and try to see if the filters are the right size. They seem to fit up to the top of the Hayward filter housing so they couldn't get much bigger.

I have not tried TSP overnight, I do soak in dish detergent overnight every time I clean them. Perhaps this is too much and that is causing part of the issue. I'm not sure if I should acid wash, replace them or what to do.

Have you tried an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Have you taken the light out and cleaned out the hole? What about the steps? Can you clean under them?

There has to be something in the water that is gumming up your filters that fast.

Go over everything with a toothbrush-around returns, inside the skimmer, etc.

For right now I would do an extra deep clean of the pool AND filters-TSP soak and a rinsing like never before.

Do you have a main drain? Is the valve that controls it open? so the water flows through it? I forgot to open mine one time after a vacuumed and it cause a minor algae hit until I figured out what happened.

Kim

When I drained the pool I took the light out and cleaned the gasket and the fixture and put it all back together. I also took the opportunity to clean the jets, returns and anything else that typically needs to be cleaned.

I performed the OCLT last night and I didn't lose any chlorine.

The filter is a CC320P and was originally installed in 2000.

So do you have more money or more time?

Get new filters if you have more money

Super clean the filters if you have time

Me? I would super clean the filters using TSP. I know the "cleaning filters" link says you can use dish soap but.......my gut says that may not be a good idea...........I have nothing to base that on so take it for what it is worth.

Let us know what you do and how it works out so we can learn from you please.

Oh what test kit are you using?

Kim

So you completed a SLAM recently? Roughly when? Did you meet the three criteria to stop the SLAM?

Here's my point.....If your filter psi starts normally and then rises over time, that really has nothing to do with your filter. It is because your filter is capturing debris and making it harder for the water to get through.

Where is that debris coming from? If it is from inorganic or dead material, it will soon filter out and you will have longer and longer intervals between psi rise.

If it is coming from algae that is living (you often can't see it) then this pattern will continue until you SLAM the pool.

I spent 2 hours cleaning the filters after looking at them very closely. I started carefully scratching the inside pleat and it started breaking loose. I went to the store and bought a fitting with a small pin hole in it to attach to the end of the hose. I then went up and down every pleat and cleaned out each pleat until I got through the whole filter. I then cleaned up the concrete of the brown stuff that came out and did the same procedure again on the same filter. I did it three times on each of the filters and was amazed at how much came out compare to what I normally got. I put one set into the TSP bath and will do the same thing on it tomorrow. I think my issue is that I just didn't clean them well enough and the funk was building up over time. I didn't know what they were suppose to look like, but I think I do now. If I shin a light on the clean side of the filter I can see it on the outside of the filter and similar if I shin a light from the outside I can see the light come through. I wasn't able to do that before.

I will know more in the morning, but based on what I got out I think it was user error and inexperience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is awesome news! When you say "It started breaking loose" what are you talking about? What did it look like and how did it feel?

I can't wait to hear how the filters work now!

There is SO much with a pool. You are doing fine. We will get you through this and any other problems or concerns you might have.

Kim

I'm using the TF100 test kit.

i put my 90% clean filters in 8 hours ago and I only have seen a .5 increase in PSI. Looks like patients and whatever that focused hose stream part is the ticket.

I plan to super clean the second set tomorrow. I suspect I will get a ton of stuff off that one as well and that set will be ready to go as well.

That is neat to hear!

With you only having the pool for 2 months you might have some other areas that need to be "deep cleaned/taken care" of.

Have you lubed the o-rings? There should be an o-ring on the lid of the basket right in front of the pump as well on the lid of the filter. Here is an example of the lube stuff.

Amazon.com: Aladdin Magic Lube 5oz Teflon Lubricant / Sealant 631: Patio, Lawn Garden

I like that you have scrubbed the whole pool down AND you have THE best test kit in the world!

I am going to guess you have done some reading here at TFP but want to make sure to point out the major reads just in case. It is nice to know the whats and whys of caring for your pool.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I know you are SO happy to figure out the filter problem.

I would LOVE to see a pic of your pool----------waterslide????? FUN!!!

Can you also put a little more about your equipment in your siggy please?

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.