Oh boy...someone got sold...

"Saving money" certainly IS going to be in the long run..lol! EEK! :shock: It's amazing how people can be sold on anything "non-chlorine". I was reading in the Houston Chronicle yesterday, and a reporter was talking about a local hotel that has a "saltwater pool that doesn't use chlorine". :roll: Should I send her the SWG link from here? :hammer: lol....

This is a perfect example of why I am just not so jazzed about letting my kids swim in public pools anymore. At least I know that my water is safe and clean. What I don't understand is how they can operate that pool without using a residual EPA approved santizer. The World Health Organization is not an entity that dictates policy such as this.

In many places in the US this would be straightforwardly illegal, and caught very quickly. But some of the states that are not known for having swimming pools don't bother regulating swimming pools very much and don't have very many people doing enforcement. Even so, if they were to be sued by someone who swam in the pool and subsequently had a problem they would be in big trouble.

Of course there is another possibility. The news reporter could simply have it wrong. They may simply be lowering their chlorine level, rather than eliminating chlorine.

257WbyMag said:
The World Health Organization is not an entity that dictates policy such as this.

I wonder what his local health department inspector says when he shows up, does a random water test and finds NO chlorine in the water?

The funny part is the company who manufactures our UV systems made the same claims that once these systems are installed chlorine isn't needed but, a CPO should know better. You've got to keep a residual in the water, UV works just like a filter, until water passes through the device none of the evils are removed.
Another thing he might not realize yet....just because you have UV doesn't mean you can't still have an algae bloom. UV doesn't kill algae and once the water clouds with algae your UV system loses it's effectiveness.

I'll stand by the UV systems though, they're ultra costly. Almost every company we talked to about our options to help remove CC levels from our pools laughed at these UV systems. Well I'm here to say that we ended up the happiest by not listening to them. UV is sold mainly as a defense against Crypto and while that is in itself a good enough reason for a commercial pool to invest in these system, the added bonus of never having to shock with extreme amounts of chlorine to lower your CC levels is just as worth the cost. Especially for those of us with indoor pools where shocking doesn't work.

I'm old school though, my pools will still have the proper amount of chlorine in them as long as I work in the business, no matter what the WHO says.....end of story. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.