Where to place my pump and filter

TanyaD

Aug 8, 2015
Bethlehem, PA
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and have been searching for answers to the questions I have but can't seem to find what I need. I'm in the permitting phase of installing a 40x16 foot inground fiberglass pool and where to place the pump and filter seem to be the biggest discussion/argument.. between the husband and myself.
The pool company highly recommends putting the pump and filter within 20-25 feet away from the deep end. My husband is adamant that he wants it in a shed behind our garage which is approximately 75' away from the deep end of the pool. Since I'm paying a large amount of money to get this pool installed, I want the best possible outcome to keeping my pool clean. The pool company is using 2 inch pipes for the skimmer and drain but 1.5 for the returns. Also providing us with a 2HP Hayward super pump.

Some other questions I have are below and what else am I missing?

1. Is it better to have the pump and filter in a ventilated area or is inside a shed OK? I'm in Bethlehem, PA and the temps in the summer get very high with high humidity.
  2. If the pump and filter are further away from the pool is it inconvenient to do the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance I need to do? Remember, it will most likely all be on me to keep up with the pool.
  3. Is it more difficult to winterize or open the pool if the pump is so far away from the pool?
  4. Will the pressure be sufficient to keep the pool clean like it should be if the pump is so far from the pool?

20-25' from the deep end seems a little excessive, there is not may pools that would meet this 'recommendation'.
75' is not excessive, with the pipe diameters you are installing.
Elevation (head) is another consideration. If the pump has to overcome an elevated pool relative to its own location that reduces the output of the pump at the delivery point.

1. Pump equipment can be placed outside in the rain so humidity is not an issue. Any pump house should have some ventilation to prevent it becoming a moldy cave. During winter I expect you would winterize your equipment to not freezing concerns. If it were a DE or cartridge filter you would want a way of draining the filter and room to disassemble it.
2. Your maintenance involving the pool equipment is minimal; checking filter pressure once a week. Occasional pump basket cleaning and filter backwashing. The daily activity does not require you going to the pump house.
3. No difference, you still drain the lines in the same manner, just a little more water.
4. If you are using a cleaning robot (Dolphin?) water pressure is not relevant, If you are using a pressure side cleaner then what type makes a big difference on requirements.

I live in Wisconsin, gets pretty hot and humid here (between Milwaukee and Chicago) and gets plenty cold in the winter!

My filter and pump are both located inside our attached garage with similar plumbing as you mentioned in your post. Probably a good 65' away from the deep end all buried underground with the valves placed just outside the back where the plumbing enters our garage.

We do use a dolphin cleaning robot so never an issue with water pressure, but I can assure you the return jets are pushing plenty of water :)

No troubles that I can tell so far, we've only owned the home / pool for one season so far but it is the same setup since the previous owners built the pool 15+ years ago.

20-25' from the deep end seems a little excessive, there is not may pools that would meet this 'recommendation'.
75' is not excessive, with the pipe diameters you are installing.
Elevation (head) is another consideration. If the pump has to overcome an elevated pool relative to its own location that reduces the output of the pump at the delivery point.

1. Pump equipment can be placed outside in the rain so humidity is not an issue. Any pump house should have some ventilation to prevent it becoming a moldy cave. During winter I expect you would winterize your equipment to not freezing concerns. If it were a DE or cartridge filter you would want a way of draining the filter and room to disassemble it.
2. Your maintenance involving the pool equipment is minimal; checking filter pressure once a week. Occasional pump basket cleaning and filter backwashing. The daily activity does not require you going to the pump house.
3. No difference, you still drain the lines in the same manner, just a little more water.
4. If you are using a cleaning robot (Dolphin?) water pressure is not relevant, If you are using a pressure side cleaner then what type makes a big difference on requirements.

Thank you for your response ozdiver! This alleviates some of my concerns except for this statement, "Elevation (head) is another consideration. If the pump has to overcome an elevated pool relative to its own location that reduces the output of the pump at the delivery point."
The pump would be downhill from the pool. Not really sure what the slope is but it's definitely there.

That's not a big deal but if the pump is below the level of the pool water level, you will have to make some plumbing considerations.

Probably a foot above the pool water level is ideal.

Our equipment pad is downhill from our pool so the water is approx. 2' deep in our filter when we open it to clean it and our plumbing from the skimmer to the pump is at least 60 feet. We have a single speed 2HP pentair pump and have not had any problems with the pump priming or the output. It is actually much stronger than I thought it would be. The only issue we currently have is we don't have a valve to shut off water flow so when we open pump basket to clean we are flooded with water which makes it difficult and we have to work quickly. We are installing a valve before we open next year to fix this problem...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.