It's up to you. Algaecides don't work well to kill algae, but they will help keep it from starting. The only thing you'll harm is your wallet. If I had a busy schedule and had to travel for work, I'd use it because there's no way to predict when the weather will change next spring and I would be afraid I wouldn't be home when it was time to open. The expense of the good stuff would be more than offset by the gallons of bleach I wouldn't have to buy to kill the bloom.

In your climate, I would suggest using it. Since your water is not likely to ever freeze and will be above 50 degrees? most of the winter, you'll always have some chlorine demand, some level of algae spores that will be trickling their way into your pool. It would be some good insurance.

Would you even need to close in your area? Cover the pool, only circulate when there is a threat of freezing and check FC every week or so?

It's up to you. Algaecides don't work well to kill algae, but they will help keep it from starting. The only thing you'll harm is your wallet. If I had a busy schedule and had to travel for work, I'd use it because there's no way to predict when the weather will change next spring and I would be afraid I wouldn't be home when it was time to open. The expense of the good stuff would be more than offset by the gallons of bleach I wouldn't have to buy to kill the bloom.

Thank you, the personal story helped me "get it" a little better.

In your climate, I would suggest using it. Since your water is not likely to ever freeze and will be above 50 degrees? most of the winter, you'll always have some chlorine demand, some level of algae spores that will be trickling their way into your pool. It would be some good insurance.

Would you even need to close in your area? Cover the pool, only circulate when there is a threat of freezing and check FC every week or so?

we get light freezes 1 to 4 times a year, nothing major most years. I don't really know if I need to close, probably not but I also don't want to dump a bunch of money on chlorine all winter when it isn't being used.

Maybe I should re-evaluate my winter plan. Maybe like you said just use a tarp (instead of a tarp does anyone have a recommendation for a good cover for my lil' pool) to cover it up and keep the uv's from breaking down the chlorine and cycle the pump once a week or when a freeze is expected. Would running the pump for a freeze keep the pump and gauge from messing up? I have the oil gauge that is sold on the TF-100 website.

What is the water temp now? Does it ever constantly stay below 60 degrees? Looks like your average daily temperature is below 60 for only December and January. Our closing recommendation is to close when the water is firmly below 60 degrees. Your pool may never be that...

If you do close, I would strongly suggest using a cover and algaecide.

If you partially close with no drain and circulate only to test and prevent freezes, I'd use a cover as well. Either way, you want to prevent chlorine losses and prevent algae growth to save yourself the headache of a spring swamp. If you partially close with a cover, it won't be very expensive to maintain FC, likely checking about every week and circulating to do so.

Keep in mind, even though you might get a freezing temperature overnight or for a day or so, it will take quite some time for water to actually freeze solid and cause damage. The most vulnerable locations for freeze damage in your situation would be your plumbing lines and pump area. Wherever you have a lower volume of local water (narrow areas versus the pool itself).

Re: Algaecide

What is the water temp now? Does it ever constantly stay below 60 degrees? Looks like your average daily temperature is below 60 for only December and January. Our closing recommendation is to close when the water is firmly below 60 degrees. Your pool may never be that...

If you do close, I would strongly suggest using a cover and algaecide.

If you partially close with no drain and circulate only to test and prevent freezes, I'd use a cover as well. Either way, you want to prevent chlorine losses and prevent algae growth to save yourself the headache of a spring swamp. If you partially close with a cover, it won't be very expensive to maintain FC, likely checking about every week and circulating to do so.

Keep in mind, even though you might get a freezing temperature overnight or for a day or so, it will take quite some time for water to actually freeze solid and cause damage. The most vulnerable locations for freeze damage in your situation would be your plumbing lines and pump area. Wherever you have a lower volume of local water (narrow areas versus the pool itself).

I think I will leave it as is but add a little algaecide and cover. once a week check chlorine and add a bit. if a light freeze is coming I will run pump, if a heavy freeze is coming I will take pump/tank/hoses inside (rarely occurs). so I guess I am choosing a partial close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.