Cannot blow out pool lines

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Hello all!

I am attempting to blow out my pool lines for the 2nd year, last year was successful. I turn the muti-port valve to Recirculate. Whenever I blow air from one of the drain plugs in the pump, the air comes out of the backwash/waste line and does not make it to the returns.

The air seems to come out of this line on any setting other than filter. If I run water with the Recirculate option, it cycles right back to the pool.

I changed out my multi-port valve about a year ago.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Adam, are you using compressed air to blow out the lines? If it's high pressure it could be blowing past your multi-port gasket. 120lb air would be way more stress on the valve than 20lb water.

Also is there another way to blow out the return lines than going through the valve and pump? I have a port on my return for slide that allows me to blow out returns. If possible, could you disconnect return line at filter and blow out lines from pool end?

Hope that helps and good luck :)

Thanks for the reply! I am using an air compressor at about 100psi so you might be right about it blowing past the valve.

Below is a post of my setup. The grey union on the lower right side is after the valve. Are you suggesting disconnecting this and shooting air straight into there?

IMG_0889.jpg

I'm going to assume the union on the lower right is to the two return jets and the one on the upper left is to waste? If so you can block off one return at the pool and blow air through that union then block other return and blow out the other return.

That way your sure to get as much water as possible out of each line. Also if you take the lid off of the pump strainer you can blow air through the intake line (or lines) to clear out the skimmer and or bottom intakes.

What I use is a 6" air nozzle with a rubber plug slid over it so it plugs the holes when shooting air into the lines. You can also wrap a rag around your air nozzle to help block air leakage. At 100 psi you should have no problem clearing them and save your multi-port from damage.

After I'm done I pour RV anti freeze into the lines and I've never had a problem with freeze damage here in Missouri.

Let me know how that works.:D

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.- next spring you might want to check the gasket in the valve to make sure it hasn't suffered a blow out ;)

Lefty51 has given you a lot of good information. Try the following as well.

Open the pump cover and place a black rubber plug with a wing nut in the "suction side", which is the main drain and skimmer. Then go in and vacuum as much water out of each skimmer as possible. Now try blowing the return side out from somewhere in the system, preferably at the union. It appears that you can not isolate the return jets from opposite ends (because you have no shut off valves). If you find that you are still having difficulty, then go in and close off the returns closest to the equipment pad and naturally water will travel to the last set of returns. Once done with the returns, go back to the pump and plug the return side (inside the pump) so you can go back and clear out the skimmers (with less water in them) and the main drain. After creating an "air lock" in the main drain, place another rubber plug in side the pump housing as extra insurance. I would recommend RV-Antifreeze as well in skimmers for your particular pool.

If possible, please tell us how many skimmers, returns (on each side) you have and if you have a main drain, etc. Something is happening with your Multi-Port as well. Switch to the filter side and air will blow through the sand (not as successful) unless you are working with a Cyclone, but at least you will bypass whatever issue you have on the recirculate position. Can you please try to rotate the picture as well.

In the end, what you are trying to do is isolate each section to create more volume with your compressor.

Thanks everyone for all of the information.

I ended up getting a couple of wingnut plugs, and a threaded compressor plug for the pump. I noticed air coming from the skimmer as well as the waste line. Plugged the waste line and got all of the water out of the skimmer, drained and plugged that, and the returns began to blow just fine.

I used no more than 20psi and got everything drained successfully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.