Trying to Figure Out What's Going On with FC

Apr 25, 2015
Pasadena, CA
Hello, can you help me figure out what's going on with my FC readings? Tested my water this past Saturday and got these readings:

FC 13
pH 7.5
CC 0
TA 100
CYA 80
CH 450

The weekend before my FC was at 8 and before that it was at 4.5. I've never had a reading so high for FC. After Saturday's test, I turned off the chlorinator on the system so the salt cell supposedly hasn't generated any since 4 days ago, but I just tested it again and get the same reading. The weather here has cooled off in the last 2 weeks, is that it? My pool temp at the moment is about 65 degrees. Please help, is something abnormal going on? Thanks.

I'm going to guess you are getting a lot less sun on your pool. Remember, two things consume chlorine - organics and UV (from the sun).

I have reduced my pump time to just 3 hours a day while turning up the % slightly on my Stenner pump and my FC is holding in range.

Well, atleast a lot less heat. It's still been relatively sunny, though temps have dropped about 20 degrees in the week or so. Before dropping the chlorinator to 0, it was at 50% for most of the summer. So this is normal? We've only had the house since January, so this will be our first winter with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.