Pool installer looking to share tips and tricks.

Mr. Sme

In The Industry
Nov 10, 2015
Yakima
Hey!!

My name is Brian and I install Viking fiberglass in-ground pools. I live in Washington State. We do everything from design and layout to full installation, set-up, and customer education on taking care of their new home recreation sites. We also so cover replacements and equipment swaps, but our focus is in new installations.

My main reason for joining is to get in touch with other installers or handy home owners that may have come across some techniques or tools that might help in our cover replacement efforts as those don't always like to go according to "plan". My current debacle is removing the tracks from the C-channel on a Coverstar system that is normally held in place with the plastic wedge strips. The previous installer was kind enough to take an 18" strip of aluminum and wedge it into the last part of the shallow end. The plastic strips came out with little effort by design, but the strips are jammed under the tracks keeping them locked in place. I have used screw drivers and a seal puller (which works wonders to remove the plastic strips BTW), but I cannot dislodge the aluminum strips as they are half the width of the normal plastic strips and seated all the way into the c-channel locking in the aluminum tracks the ropes and cover glide on.

If anyone has any suggestions for tools to use to slide in and pop those out I would be ever grateful. Or to know of anyone who's ran into this problem and how they overcame it. The guide tracks have the slot in the top that locks into the c-channel that the concrete pool deck is poured over and unless I can get those aluminum strips the installer used to wedge the tracks in I am sure to damage the c-channel, or worse the concrete, and that's definitely not an option.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Cheers!

Brian