How to lower CYA?

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
I've been reading up on pool maintenance on this site in anticipation of building our first pool this winter. I think I kind of understand the relationship between FC/CYA, but was wondering that if over time CYA climbs too high, is there a way to reduce it besides doing a partial drain and refill? Also, at what point would this recourse be a consideration?

CYA can only be lowered by water replacement or by reverse osmosis treatment of the water. Reverse osmosis treatment is not always available and only a last resort if you are on a very strict water limitation. Water, while a precious resource is almost always cheaper than reverse osmosis. You can see from the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart that depending on your chlorination type (manual or SWG) you should lower CYA when it's above 60 for manual chlorination or above 80 for SWG chlorination.

Nice to see you doing your homework ahead of time!

Joel has explained it well, water replacement or RO.

The key to our whole system of pool care is accurate testing and knowing what you add to the pool will do to the pool BEFORE you add it.

Nice to see you doing your homework ahead of time!

Joel has explained it well, water replacement or RO.

The key to our whole system of pool care is accurate testing and knowing what you add to the pool will do to the pool BEFORE you add it.

Yea, that's what I thought about water replacement. So that leads me to wonder what other people that don't follow the TFPC Method do. From what I understand, using DiChlor/TriChlor tablets can raise the CYA pretty quickly. So, are those people partially draining and refilling their pools constantly?

Yes that is just what they do......................or they get a HUGE green mess and come here for help after they have spent $XXXX at the pool store and it did NOT help.

The pool store will tell you that you water is "old" or in "chlorine lock" AKA the CYA is too high!

Kim

Yea, that's what I thought about water replacement. So that leads me to wonder what other people that don't follow the TFPC Method do. From what I understand, using DiChlor/TriChlor tablets can raise the CYA pretty quickly. So, are those people partially draining and refilling their pools constantly?
Some do.
Some are "lucky" to live in areas that require closing and draining a lot of water each winter.
Others live in areas blessed with lots of rain to dilute the CYA.
A small minority are just lucky that even with high CYA their pool remains clear.
Then the other help pay the boat payments of the pool store owner :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.