Pool cover during winter

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
I am thinking of not using the pool cover during winter on the days it rains since the water is pooling up the cover.
This is my first winter with the cover so I am not sure how much it can damage the cover.

It ofcourse, doesn't rain that much here (bay area, california) as much as other states but its been a pain everytime to pump out the water and I am concerned about the life of the cover.

Thanks in advanced for your suggestions.
-Prasad

Covering (winterizing) a pool is always a matter of personal choice to an extent. In the Frozen North, there is very little choice and winterizing is mandatory. It varies as you get further South (like Florida) until there is really no reason to do anything different than in the swim season.

Try it this season without the cover. You will soon learn if you like it better but you have to experience it yourself and then decide.

Do you have a solid cover and a cover pump? They are required for solid covers. If you have a mesh cover it shouldn't have water pooling on it. You would then only have to worry about draining the pool if the actual pool water level got too high.

Did not use a cover first winter. Just maintain chemicals/supplement w bleach for chlorine once temperature of water prevented swg from producing.
I only have 1 neighbor that has a tree to deal with the leaves. They are usually all gone before the really bad weather hits

How does rain water affect the chemical balance of the pool. It is more alkaline ? does it add CYA.
This might help to further decide on what I should do.
I have a solid pool cover and I have a pump as well, but I need to move the pump to different location before it can suck out the water and even after this there are spots where the water doesn't drain out from the cover.

Rain water will affect water chemistry very little. Typically, rain water is about the same pH as your pool water, no FC, no CC, no CYA with very low TA and CH. It can help lower TA and CH to refill with collected rain water. Without a cover, rain can increase your pH simply because it is a huge source of aeration due to the physical action of rain drops hitting the water, not the rain water itself. This is dependent on your current TA level. High TA, faster pH rise due to aeration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.