Sanitizing my new Spa

Apr 21, 2008
New Topic formed - split off from this original thread:
new-spa-on-the-way-sounds-like-a-chem-nightmare-t11135.html

Ok
So I just broke down and bought another spa ( Jacuzzi Model J-470).
I had a marquis Spa for years and tried bromine, dichlor etc. I was pretty successful with the chemistry.

I use the BBB method for my swimming pool and have since bought a liquidator whick wokrs fantastic and I have never had clearer water.

On to the Hot Tub:

This particular model has an ozonator and uses the following ...
http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/accessori ... tizer.html

So my question is is this a spa frog or nature 2 ? It clearly states not to use bromine with this setup.

So should I use the BBB method, this spa will be outside but covered.

I read about using dichor which I have before and get the cya to about 40 ppm?
Then use bleach, we will not be in it for long periods maybe 15-30 minutes and who knows about the kids.

SO here are my questions.

I have a ozonator, I can use the BBB method ?
What should I keep my cya level at and FC?

Or should I not use the pro clear and use bromine instead.

Thanks

mikemedic

Re: New Spa on the way. Sounds like a chem nightmare.

So if I choose Bromine how do I start up?
I can't just use the tabs right. I have to get a bromine reserve, correct? and How do I do that
Mike

New Spa on the way. Sounds like a chem nightmare.

Mike,

If you are unsure as to whether you would prefer chlorine or bromine, then start out with chlorine since you can easily switch to bromine later without having to change the water. Switching the other way around from bromine to chlorine usually requires a water change.

So for the chlorine approach, you use Dichlor for a short while until you've cumulatively added 30-40 ppm FC (about a week or two, usually) and then switch to using bleach. Add enough chlorine after a soak so that you measure at least a small residual the next time you soak. Read "How do I use Chlorine in my spa (or pool)?" for more info.

Whenever you want to then try bromine, you first add sodium bromide to form a bromide bank, add some oxidizer (such as chlorine bleach, or non-chlorine shock MPS) and then add a floating feeder to dispense more bromine. This is the 3-step system described in "How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?".

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.