Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sanitizing my new Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Sanitizing my new Spa

New Topic formed - split off from this original thread:
    new-spa-on-the-way-sounds-like-a-chem-nightmare-t11135.html

Ok
    So I just broke down and bought another spa ( Jacuzzi Model J-470).
    I had a marquis Spa for years and tried bromine, dichlor etc. I was pretty successful with the chemistry.

I use the BBB method for my swimming pool and have since bought a liquidator whick wokrs fantastic and I have never had clearer water.

On to the Hot Tub:

This particular model has an ozonator and uses the following ...
    http://www.jacuzzihottubs.com/accessori ... tizer.html

So my question is is this a spa frog or nature 2 ? It clearly states not to use bromine with this setup.

So should I use the BBB method, this spa will be outside but covered.

I read about using dichor which I have before and get the cya to about 40 ppm?
    Then use bleach, we will not be in it for long periods maybe 15-30 minutes and who knows about the kids.

SO here are my questions.

I have a ozonator, I can use the BBB method ?
    What should I keep my cya level at and FC?

Or should I not use the pro clear and use bromine instead.

Thanks

mikemedic
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Spa on the way. Sounds like a chem nightmare.

The proclear is a N2 cartridge. You could use BBB with both the N2 and Ozonator, but when they go out I wouldn't bother replacing either. I use bromine tabs in mine. I think that's about the easiest way to maintain a tub. Just get a good floater. I like [url]this rainbow model[/https://www.mclendons.com/item.asp?sku=10583040&cat=Outdoor+%26+Home+Living&subcat1=po ol+%26+spa+chemicals+%26+acc.&subcat2=url].

3. Back To Top    #3

So if I choose Bromine how do I start up?
    I can't just use the tabs right. I have to get a bromine reserve, correct? and How do I do that
    Mike
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

New Spa on the way. Sounds like a chem nightmare.

Mike,

If you are unsure as to whether you would prefer chlorine or bromine, then start out with chlorine since you can easily switch to bromine later without having to change the water. Switching the other way around from bromine to chlorine usually requires a water change.

So for the chlorine approach, you use Dichlor for a short while until you've cumulatively added 30-40 ppm FC (about a week or two, usually) and then switch to using bleach. Add enough chlorine after a soak so that you measure at least a small residual the next time you soak. Read "How do I use Chlorine in my spa (or pool)?" for more info.

Whenever you want to then try bromine, you first add sodium bromide to form a bromide bank, add some oxidizer (such as chlorine bleach, or non-chlorine shock MPS) and then add a floating feeder to dispense more bromine. This is the 3-step system described in "How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?".

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I posted in the wrong thread.