Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I am having my pool engineered and am at the point where I need to determine the number of lights and their placement. I've attached the design so far and would appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer.

Right now we have two lighted bubblers on the first step, and I'm thinking we will need either 2 or 3 more lights for the pool. We will probably be going with the color changing LEDs. The house and main seating area are to the bottom of the pool picture, so I'd like to take that into account when trying to avoid potential glare from the lights.

If you see anything else worth commenting on in the design, please feel free to do so. You may have noticed how I incorporated Helen's steps into our design... Thanks Helen! They each have a 6" rise and are 3' wide with a 1.5' tread depth, front to back. The bubbler step is 6" water depth and the main shelf and other benches are 16" water depth. Right now the diving depth is incorrectly listed at 6' but that will be corrected later to 8' or so.

Please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• Preliminary Pool Layout .jpg
    Preliminary Pool Layout .jpg
    34 KB · Views: 97
Okay so............thinking here. You do not want a light shining right into someones eyes when swimming laps or when they are sitting on a bench.

I see a light at the bottom of the steps. Icannot read what is written there to know what is already there.

I see another light right at the right hand side of the bench (kind of facing the slide) OR the lefthand side of the bench by the slide.

You could always put a pretty pole light right in the curve on the patio by the steps to really go outside the box.

Good luck!

Kim

Thanks for you thoughts, Kim. I hadn't thought of glare while sitting on the benches, so that's a good point. I also want to make sure I get good lighting throughout the whole pool. You have some good ideas. Thank you!

Where is the main outside seating?

Assuming its at the bottom of the page you don't have many good choices.

Generally:

1. You don't want the lights in the pool facing the main outside seating area because then persons outside the pool are allways looking into the lights.

2. You don't want lights facing directly in to swim paths.

Based on that I think the two lights on the right are correctly placed and the one on the left needs to be moved so its not on the shelf. Use two smaller lights on the shelf. I would eliminate the lights on the far side of the pool.

Thanks for your input, gwegan. What you are taking for lights in the diagram are actually returns. Right now, there are no lights drawn on the diagram. But you make good points about the general principles to aim for that I really need to consider.

Yes, the main seating area is to the bottom of the page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.