New Build

Oct 17, 2015
Houston, Texas
Hello,

We are going to sign the contract on a pool soon. The quote has a peagravel deck (800 square feet of new decking to be added to my existing 900 square feet of spray deck) and my wife really likes travertine. So I found a company that would install the travertine over a slab at a good price so I was thinking of having the builder just lay a regular slab without the peagravel but drop the slab a couple of inches so the travertine decking would be installed level with the coping and my existing deck. any recommendations? It will be a SWG pool.

Phil
Houston, TX

THAT is one pretty pool! NICE!

Yeah I am talking about putting it down like it is put down normally. I THINK that is with a gravel or sand base. I am not sure.

That is a good size hot tub. You might want to go sit in some hot tubs to get an idea of the size and what works for you and your family.

Kim

I've heard of it put on top of a concrete base before but I'm not sure if there is something that goes between the concrete and pavers. The guy who did it told me he chose to do it that way because of the shifting we get here in north Texas. If the concrete cracks you won't be able to tell, but it still provides more support to your pavers than a typical compacted base. I think planning ahead and lowering the slab to ensure your pavers lined up with the coping is exactly what you'd want to do.

I've heard of it put on top of a concrete base before but I'm not sure if there is something that goes between the concrete and pavers. The guy who did it told me he chose to do it that way because of the shifting we get here in north Texas. If the concrete cracks you won't be able to tell, but it still provides more support to your pavers than a typical compacted base. I think planning ahead and lowering the slab to ensure your pavers lined up with the coping is exactly what you'd want to do.

Jamie that is wonderful input! THANKS! Funny how things are done different in different areas of the world. What is nice is he explained WHY he did it that way!

Kim

The base under my travertine is stabilized sand topped with a thin layer of normal sand then swept with polymeric sand..
As with all bases, preparation is key.
A well compacted base is going to give a much more longevity to your deck.
That said if I find in years to come that an area needs redoing, any area of travertine can be lifted and the stabilized sand broken up and relevelled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.