AGP closing questions

PYG

Sep 2, 2015
Halfmoon/NY
I reside in upstate NY and I am closing my pool for my 3rd or 4th time (how time flies) and had a massive brain fart as to how I did it last year.

I have an above ground pool with a sand filter. The sand filter plug has been removed the filter set to "winterize". I then cover everything with a tarp just to keep the snow off.

My questions:

1- do people remove the strainer cover? Or do you keep it sealed for the winter? ( I did remove the drain plug). I am afraid that removing it completely will allow stuff to get in there. if I do remove it can I wrap it or cover it?

2- am I supposed to keep the intake & outtake valves open or closed? (they are both plugged at the skimmer and eyeball)
My thought was if they are kept open any water that makes it way in the line will drain out.

Thanks for any help!

I remove the cover and put majic lube on o-ring, store it garage. (leave basket in)
I remove the plumbing compleatly from the skimer and eyeball fitting and multi-port and drain just to be safe if the plug leaks. drain the pool a few inches below skimmer. Another thing, remove the big ring between filter and multi-port to prevent ice pushing the pipe with longitudinals up into multi-port base.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.