New Pool Build - SWCG, VS Pump, Automation Questions

As you can see from my signature, I am in the process of finalizing plans for a new pool so I have many questions:

1.) My PB wants to give me a Superpump II 1.5hp 2-speed with timer, but from all my research a VS is the way to go, which would eliminate the need for a separate timer as well. One of my concerns, is that due to the flow switch on the AquaRite SWCG, the low setting on a 2-speed may not be enough to flip the switch, whereas a VS would allow me to "dial down" the flow to minimize flow while allowing for chlorine generation. Does this make sense, or not be a reason for a VS pump? Should I only expect to generate chlorine when I am running high speed during cleaning operation?

2.) For a 10k gal pool with spa, is the Hayward Tristar enough pump or should I go with the Ecostar? I noticed right now on Amazon the Ecostar is only $50 more, so my main concern is it possible for the ecostar to be oversized for my application? My thought is the Ecostar is the way to go to help maximize flow to the Spa Jets when I need to.

3.) With this setup I expect to have 4 suction points (Vacuum Side Cleaner, Skimmer, Pool Drain, Spa Drain) and two return paths (Pool Jets, Spa Jets, Spa Bubbler). So here's my question is there a valve configuration I can leave in place for long term operation without adjusting, or should I plan on having some form of automation for my 3-way valves? I envisioned running my pump on high speed for 3-4 hours for a clean cycle then on a low flow cycle for the rest of the run time without adjusting valves - is this possible?

As you can see from my signature, I am in the process of finalizing plans for a new pool so I have many questions:

1.) My PB wants to give me a Superpump II 1.5hp 2-speed with timer, but from all my research a VS is the way to go, which would eliminate the need for a separate timer as well. One of my concerns, is that due to the flow switch on the AquaRite SWCG, the low setting on a 2-speed may not be enough to flip the switch, whereas a VS would allow me to "dial down" the flow to minimize flow while allowing for chlorine generation. Does this make sense, or not be a reason for a VS pump? Should I only expect to generate chlorine when I am running high speed during cleaning operation?

The VS pump is the way to go. You are correct in that you will be able to dial in the lowest speed needed to activate the flow switch in your SWG. In my case I can run my SWG at a pump speed that draws less than 200 watts.

2.) For a 10k gal pool with spa, is the Hayward Tristar enough pump or should I go with the Ecostar? I noticed right now on Amazon the Ecostar is only $50 more, so my main concern is it possible for the ecostar to be oversized for my application? My thought is the Ecostar is the way to go to help maximize flow to the Spa Jets when I need to.

Once again I agree, having a more powerful pump isn't a problem IF it's a VS pump. You can always dial it down. I'm running a 3 hp VS pump, but most of the time its operating at 1,000 rpm and drawing less electricity than a single 100 watt light bulb.

3.) With this setup I expect to have 4 suction points (Vacuum Side Cleaner, Skimmer, Pool Drain, Spa Drain) and two return paths (Pool Jets, Spa Jets, Spa Bubbler). So here's my question is there a valve configuration I can leave in place for long term operation without adjusting, or should I plan on having some form of automation for my 3-way valves? I envisioned running my pump on high speed for 3-4 hours for a clean cycle then on a low flow cycle for the rest of the run time without adjusting valves - is this possible?
I am not a fan of automation systems. You should be able to operate as you describe, although I can't say for sure. I have an in-floor system and run the pump for three hours at a higher speed to clean the pool before the speed slows to my normal daily speed.

When you say your returns are pool jets, spa jets, spa bubbler are the pool returns regular side wall returns or jets like the spa jets? You should have non jet returns to both pool and spa as well as jets in the spa.

First off, please forgive me, my current pool is so simple compared to what I am trying to have built, so there is a lot I need to learn.

1.) How low of RPM on average can a VS Pump be set while also allowing chlorine generation with a Hayward flow switch?

2.) Okay so let me see if I understand this correct, I will have 4 suction ports (Pool Drain, Spa Drain, Pool Cleaner/Vacuum Port, Skimmer) and 3 return ports (Pool Return, Spa Return, Spa Jets?) I was assuming that the Spa Return and Jets were one and the same. My PB will is also install a Blower, I guess this Tee's into the spa Jet piping, with a check valve to prevent backflow to the Blower when off?

3.) Note I do not plan on keeping the spa hot all the time. After thinking about it, could I tweak my suction valves so the cleaner operates properly at high pumps speed while returning water to the pool and spa. This way my pool gets cleaned, but both the pool and spa are being circulated filtered and sanitized even during lower pump speeds (I understand the pool cleaner won't work right at the lower pump speeds)?

1. How low you can go an still generate chlorine will depend on several factors, including your plumbing, brand and model SWG, size and efficiency of the pump, type and size of filter, valve settings, and even how clean your filter is. In my case I can go down to 1200 rpm, but to be on the safe side as the filter may reduce flow as it gets dirty, I set it to 1400 rpm (200 watt draw).

2. Sounds right. If possible, you want all your suction and returns individually valved and all plumbed to the equipment pad, rather tha running the drai through the skimmer, as is often done. Spa return is seperate from the spa jets so you can have a spill over spa, or fill the spa with out running the jets.

3. Correct.

It is very common for two pipes to be in the bottom of the skimmer. One goes to the equipment pad and is the suction line to the pump. The other just runs down to the main drain. An equalizer plate is placed over these in the bottom of the skimmer. It has a flap valve that can be adjusted. Close the little flap and water can't get in from the skimmer so it draws from the drain, open it draws from the skimmer, part way mixes the two. It also has a float that slams shut if the water level in the skimmer drops, to help prevent loosing prime on the pump. I feel that the better arrangement is to bring all suction lines and return lines to the equipment pad and have manual control valves on each line.

In my pool I have seperate suction lines for pool main drain, two skimmers, spa drain, vacuum/pool cleaner. On the return side I have in-floor cleaning system, pool side returns, spa return, water feature. In my case, my heater and spa jets are on a separate loop with a separate pump and is valved to allow for drawing from either the spa or pool and returning to either spa jets or pool return. That allow for heating the spa or pool. Maybe a lot of valves, but it provides for a lot of flexibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.