Covering an AG Pool in Austin

Zindar

Jun 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
Split from covering above ground pool for winter.

I also have a question about this. I live in Austin, TX where it sometimes freezes, but it never really seems to stay below freezing for long extended periods of time. So I probably don't need to unhook my equipment, but some people do unhook their equipment just in case, as frozen pipes have occurred here, but it's rare.

But I've also heard advice from a pool salesman that unhooking the equipment in the winter is a good idea because when the water gets below 60 degrees, he thinks it sort of stops deteriorating and nothing can grow in it, and it's a waste of effort an money to keep checking it and treating with chemicals.

Assuming he's right, I'm considering covering my 18 foot diameter round pool with a cover, and unhooking my equipment, and storing it in my garage for the winter, as I do like the idea of not having to take care of my pool weekly during the winter. Plus the cover will stop leaves from getting in.

Question: Is he correct that the time I should choose for doing this "winterizing" is when the water temperate drops below 60 degrees? As of a week ago, I think it was still 70 degrees, so it's too soon, I assume. Also, I read on the instructions that came with the pool cover, that I'm supposed to put a "pool pillow" in the middle of the pool to raise the center of the pool cover. Why is that needed? Do I really need a pool pillow?

Re: covering above ground pool for winter.

Well, I did some googling around, and I saw one website recommend that that water be consistently below 65 degrees to prevent algae growth before winterizing. I also read that the purpose of the pool pillow is to absorb expansion if the water freezes so as to protect the walls. While maybe once every decade or so I might hear about pipes freezing in Austin, I don't think I've ever seen my actual pool freeze, so the pillow might not really be needed in my case. Having said that, I can always throw in some pool floats I have in lieu of a pool pillow.

I just checked, and my water is currently 63 degrees, so I might barely be in winterizing territory, assuming the weather doesn't get hotter again. I may hold off a bit to be sure, and anyway, before I winterize, I'd like to vacuum the leaves out. I have a small pile of leaves on the floor, but nothing like what's going to happen soon when the trees start really dropping their leaves... I'd like to get the pool cover on before that happens.

I think maybe there's just enough leaves on there now to justify me getting out my leafeater to get rid of them. It's possible maybe next weekend, if the water temperature is still dropping, maybe that's when I'll winterize.

If leaves are dropping, I'd get them out, SLAM the pool, drain and cover it. I would open early March though. You certainly get warmer than I would being in Pennsylvania. I always open in April.

We get hard freezes and I don't even bother with the pillows. Never had an issue. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.