Quick chem question

Hi all,

This is my first year with a pool and going into the winter. I know it's bad to store bleach and muriatic acid together, but is this only if opened? Is it OK to keep two, 1 gallon, un-opened bottles of each of these in a medium-sized outdoor plastic storage bin? I have other chems in there, including 1 large bin of tabs.

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a solid but inexpensive sump pump for an inground pool with a mesh safety cover, love to hear!

Thanks,
Steve

Muriatic acid's cap is vented even before it is opened. Yes there is a seal on it but it is not air tight. Most of the time when I go to open a new bottle of MA the inside seal is NOT on all of the way.

Better safe than sorry----------------keep them apart open or unopened.

Kim

As a FYI Steve,
should an accident occur and the bleach and MA get combined, its more than just a bit dangerous. It's lethal. That combinatin can cause death with just a couple of whiffs.

Never attempt to mix the two, or store them in close proximity.

In addition to all of the above, do not store muriatic acid anywhere near anything metal that you would like to keep in decent shape. Definitely, do not store MA in a garage or near tools, etc. Mine stays in an open shed, where the wind keeps the outgassing of the bottle wafted away.