Solar Heater and Chlorine

Apr 17, 2008
Hi,
Just a quick question, If i need to shock my pool, do i need to shut of the solar heater? Does high amount of chlorine causes damage to the solar heater? If it does, then what's the maximum the chlorine level that it can take.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
elteebee...

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you shock your pool, according to your CYA level (see the link to the CYA chart in my signature), it shouldn't be a problem to allow the water to flow through the solar unit. Do you know what your CYA level is?

CYA is 50 currently. I have a SWG.

Okay then, check out the link if you haven't already done so. I also recommend you see the article in Pool School
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator.

Your CYA of 50 is a bit low for a SWG....so I'm not sure if your familiar with this article or not. Also, (FYI if you don't already know this) it's best to shock with liquid chlorine....I would not use the "superchlorinate" function of your SWG as that can shorten the life of the cell.

Let us know if you have further questions. :-D

frustratedpoolmom said:
Okay then, check out the link if you haven't already done so. I also recommend you see the article in Pool School
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator.

Your CYA of 50 is a bit low for a SWG....so I'm not sure if your familiar with this article or not. Also, (FYI if you don't already know this) it's best to shock with liquid chlorine....I would not use the "superchlorinate" function of your SWG as that can shorten the life of the cell.

Let us know if you have further questions. :-D

Thanks. I shocked it using liquid chlorine instead of the SWG. Realized the CYA a little low gonna fix that once the chlorine level goes back to normal. A little afraid of over fixing the CYA in the pool, so doing it little by little. With the drought in California, draining pool is not an option.

Thanks for the reply.

regards,
Laurence...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.