What the heck is this plumbing?

Nov 7, 2015
Wilmington NC
Hello all. I am a neophyte pool owner, and I am trying to figure out where my plumbing is going. I have followed the green to crystal clear thread to reclaim my pool, but I am seeing debris return when I vacuum and I have no idea where it is coming from. Can anyone tell me where these lines may come from? I have two pipes in my single skimmer, as well as a main drain, but I'm not sure what is going on as far as plumbing. Here is a pic of my suction side plumbing.

Thanks!

Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 126
Welcome! :wave:

Regardless of the plumbing, if the filter pump is also the pump you use when you vacuum, the problem is within the filter. You don't have a multiport valve. There's no way something can bypass the valve. Therefore, debris is bypassing the filter. Odds are something isn't seated properly or you have a torn pleat on the cartridge. Any filter that's working properly will strain out anything big enough to see with the naked eye.

Time to open it up and have a look.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
Any filter that's working properly will strain out anything big enough to see with the naked eye.
320 makes a universal point that all newbies need to read and remember.

The pipes in front of your pump allow you to select between skimmer, MD, and perhaps a dedicated suction line. Should be easy to find out which is which as soon as you get a new handle.

The pipe exiting from the top of your pump obviously goes into the filter and then exits and passes through a chlorinator before returning to the pool.

Any filter that's working properly will strain out anything big enough to see with the naked eye.
320 makes a universal point that all newbies need to read and remember. (said it twice because it's that important.)

Mine was broken pleats as mentioned above the only time debris ever returned.

Thanks all! I pulled the filter cap and gave the filter a cursory inspection the other day, but I was in a hurry and will give it a thorough inspection this weekend :) the good news is that the pool is vastly improved already. Of course now it's pouring nonstop... :/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.