Robot vs. suction

Aug 24, 2011
I know this topic has been covered a lot... I'm trying to decide whether to repair a broken sand shark suction cleaner, replace with another suction unit, or get a robot. My main gripe with the Sand Shark is that I'm constantly having to adjust the suction so it doesn't either sit still, or climb aggressively up the walls and suck air. Is there a suction style cleaner that can self regulate the pressure a little better? My main concern with the robots is having to manually put it in and out all the time. I'm afraid it would get old and end up not being used. The suction guy does his thing on a timer and I don't need to mess with it (except when it stops working right due to suction problems). Thanks.

Ive never had a suction side cleaner. Only a robot, so I really cannot make a comparison.
I only have to use mine a couple times a week, and its easy enough to pull out after cleaning.

Then again, I dont like so see a cleaner in the pool all the time, but that's just me.

Have you looked at the "new" Rebel by Pentair? It's a two-wheeled suction side cleaner that looks a lot like The Pool Cleaner which lots of people love. I have a Kreepy Krauly SandShark by Pentair but I plan to keep it until it fails then replace with a Rebel.

I hear good things about robots but not all robots are compatible with all pool types. Vinyl can be damaged by an aggressive robotic cleaner.

Perhaps if you add some of your pool specs to your signature, other folks can chime in and give you a better set of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No suction cleaner self regulates the pressure. They all have to be dialed in with some type of valve. It gets more complicated if you have a multiple speed pump and you don't have automation controlling the valves.

It seems the best suction cleaner reviews are for ThePoolCleaner. There are a few models that are equivalent to that cleaner now.

We don't know anything about your pool so its difficult to fully answer but a robot is probably the way to go. They are the wave of the future.

If you have a vs or 2 speed pump it means that you can run the pump on low speeds almost all the time (probably for less time than you think) and throw on the robot for a twice weekly cleanup which significantly reduces costs.

I thought I replied once but it didn't show up (strangely, I also saw an email notification of a response that didn't show up either). Anyway, I did decide to go with a robot. My pool is small, 8000 gallons. The main issue I had with the suction one was that the pump seemed to vary significantly over time. I assume it's related to how much junk is in the filter and skimmer, and perhaps small debris in the pump impeller. In any case, it'll be nice to just let the pump skim and not have to manage it all the time for the crawler. I went with a Dolphin Nautilus plus.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.