My name is isipwater: 1 st Pool and Overwhelmed!

Nov 7, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Hi,

We just purchased a house and now have a pool for the first time.

I know almost nothing about operating pool equipment or maintaining pool chemicals but I intend on taking care of the pool myself.

I looking forward to learning from the TFP community!

I have now had the house for 3 weeks and have done nothing to the pool yet. I need to get a test kit and supplies and get to work.

Attached is a photo of our pool and spa. I just had a contractor install a pool fence.

Maximilian 3.jpg

More photos to come.

Thanks,

isipwater

P.s. Here is my signature. I am not sure why it is not showing up:

?K Gal, IG Plaster, built 1994
Pentair Triton II TR 60 High Rate Sand Filter & STA-RITE Max-E-PRO 1.65 HP Two Speed Pump
Accessories: Attached Spa with Raypack 2100 Pool/Spa NG Heater & Helio-Matic Solar Heat System
Hayward Pool Vac XL Turbine Suction Cleaner
Water Test Kit: Need to Purchase

Last edited:
I love your pool and area! So pretty!

I am going to give you a shopping list for you to get while you wait on your test kit:

-white plastic plate (this will help you with the color matching for PH)
-plastic 2 cup measuring cup for chlorine/bleach
-brush and long pole for pool
-net that will fit on the above pole

You will also want to do some pricing for your area for chlorine/bleach. Some people find their best price at Walmart (great value plain bleach), some at Sams or Costco (cloriox bleach), some at their close pool store (chlorine in a "rented" jug).

Here are a couple of links for even more reading and learning.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

This should keep you busy until your test kit gets here.

How is your pool getting chlorine/bleach? I am going to guess tablets but want to make sure.

Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the kind words and the shopping list.

I have a couple questions.

1) For the white plastic plate, can any on do or can you give me more specifics?

2) For the bleach, am I looking for plain bleach or does it should it say chlorine bleach on the bottle?

3) What is a rented jug?

4) About how much bleach will I be using per week or month?

As far as the pole, brush, and net, thankfully, the former owners left those behind, so I have those items.

I am very much looking for my TF 100 kit to arrive so I can get started. I also ordered the Taylor Speedstir.

Finally, to answer your question about how my pool is getting bleach/chlorine currently, the short answer is that it is not getting anything. I know that the former owners were using chlorine pucks, however, I have not given the pool any chemicals in the last 3 weeks since I moved in. This is my first pool. I really have no idea what I am doing but want to learn, hopefully quickly.

Thanks again,

isipwater

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Richard. Yes, I got the TF 100 and the Speedstir. Looking forward to getting to work.

What is the best way to estimate how many gallons of water fit in my pool?

Thanks.

1) a white sheet of paper will work for now, although I think Kim wants something rigid to go behind your speed stir. It helps produce a background for color matching

2) plain bleach or liquid chlorine "shock". You want to have the % chlorine listed on the container and also look for the freshness date, usually a 5 digit number like 28015, which is the 280th day of 2015. If you buy bleach, make sure it's plain old bleach, not splashless or scented, or easy pour.

3) Some pool stores will rent you out a container you can refill for chlorine, kinda like a grill propane tank.

For now I would put some bleach in your pool as you have not added anything in a while! I can't say how much as we don't know how big your pool is. My guess from your equipment is that a gallon would be good each day until your kit arrives. Brush the walls and floor daily for now.

Measure the width, length and water depth of your pool so we can help you figure out your volume.

Marian has you covered on the questions. The only thing I want to add is I got a white plastic plate from the Dollar Store. I keep it with my test kit. I found it is easier to use than a piece of paper.

How is your water looking today? Please get a couple of jugs of bleach so you can add some each day until your test kit gets there. We don't want it to start going green!

For right now I would put 4 cups of bleach in each evening after the sun has set. Let the pump run for 30 mins to help mix it in.

I am going to give you another link to read over. It will have a LOT of info BUT once you start testing and giving us your levels it will all sink in. This is a link you will read and reread many times. We are here to help you understand.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This will help you understand the whats and whys of what TFP is all about.

Do you have a Walmart close? You MIGHT be able to find a temporary test kit. It might only test FC and PH but that would at least help keep your pool clear until you good test kit gets there. If not just adding the 4 cups of bleach a day should keep your pool happy for now.

Kim

Thanks Richard. Yes, I got the TF 100 and the Speedstir. Looking forward to getting to work.

What is the best way to estimate how many gallons of water fit in my pool?

Thanks.
Break out a tape measure. Measure the length and width and average the depth between the deepest and shallowest parts and plug the numbers into the volume calculator on poolmath. That will get you a very rough estimate. Then pay close attention to the results when you add chemicals. Again using poolmath, when it tells you what to add, go plug that in at the bottom under Effects of Adding Chemicals to see what the side effects will be. If you target 7.4 on pH and it only gets to 7.5 and the TA drop should be 10 but you don't see any change, you know you under-dosed. Increase the volume 1000 gallons and try again. It's just a matter of fine-tuning over a period of time. Increase or decrease the volume in poolmath until you consistently hit your goal. That's your volume. It can take months to get it right, but there is always a range to what's acceptable, so if you're off a little, it's not a huge problem.

If you try the search function for calculating pool volume you'll find a whole lot more on this.

Here is a update on my pool. Also, it would be helpful to get some feedback too.

A few days ago I poured a gallon of bleach into the pool.

I am still waiting for my TF-100 to arrive but today I went to a local pool shop and got my water tested.

Here are the results:

FAC 4 - OK
TAC 4 - OK
CH 500 - High
CYA 150 - High
TA 120 - OK
pH 7.4 - OK
Copper 0 - OK
Iron 0 - OK
TDS 1100 - OK
Pho 300 - High

Also, the pool shop guy said that having a high CH is normal in my area due to the water.

The pool guy said that my pool seems to be in good shape and did not try to sell me anything. He recommended that next summer I use a new product called "Bio-Active" to bring down the CYA as an alternative to draining the pool.

Again, feedback is appreciated! Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are very reluctant to make recommendations based on pool store tests, especially when it involves CYA. However, that CYA value is pretty high. Get your FC up to around 10ish. (Someone more wise than I might chime in with a different recommendation. I chose 10 as a conservative guess).

- - - Updated - - -

Is your water still clear?

We are very reluctant to make recommendations based on pool store tests, especially when it involves CYA. However, that CYA value is pretty high. Get your FC up to around 10ish. (Someone more wise than I might chime in with a different recommendation. I chose 10 as a conservative guess).

- - - Updated - - -

Is your water still clear?

My water is clear.

So, being new to TFP, to get the FC up, is this done by adding more bleach?

Here is your "job" for today:

-measure your pool and put the info in pool math AND share it here so we can figure out your pool size.

-read the links posted in the above posts..........There is a lot of info in them that will help you manage your pool

-Put a jug of bleach in your pool EVERY day with the pump running until your test kit gets here to make sure your water stays clear.

Kim

Couple updates.

I measure my pool, it is 21,406 gallons.

Also, finally got my TF-100 and SpeedStir in mail.

I tried plugging my info into poolmath and here is what I found:

-I don't need any bleach
- I need to replace 48% of my water to fix CYA from 150 to 40

-I don't understand the part about SWG, Shock, and Mustard Alge Shock

Any tips appreciated

Good job betting your pool size dialed in!

Can you please post your test results? That will help us help you the most.

SWG-salt water generator Here is a link about it.

Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

shock-we call it SLAM. It is for when you have algae in your water. Here is a link about it.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

mustard algae shock is just a higher level of SLAM as mustard algae is harder to get rid of.

Does that help? Let me know.

Kim