Sta-rite heater troubleshooting help

sanspeur

Nov 16, 2014
Seffner, FL
Hi,

I have a StaRite SR200 and the Service Heater led is on, as well as an led (on the control board) that I can't find a description for. It is located next to the Max Temperature Set button. Can someone please tell me what that led is (it is the only one on)? Thanks so much in advance!

If I'm not mistaken, that's just the service heater LED that you see from the top panel. So is the heater working at all or not? If you power cycle the unit, turn breaker on/off, does it boot back up and turn on? NO error code on the display?

Hi ps303 and thanks for the reply. No error codes displayed and no other leds lit. Power cycled and same thin happens. It comes on, water temp shown after power up, heating led blinking yellow, then steady, blower working, gas kicks on, then about 10 secs later gas kicks off, then about 30 secs later the Service Heater led lights. No other indications.

I wonder if you have water in the can. Take one of the bottom bolts out of the header and see if water comes out. If you have water in the can it would act like this and then it also means you have a hole(s) in the heat exchanger and I would replace the heater.

I actually had the manifold off yesterday to replace a broken bypass valve. Problem still persisted after replacement and there wasn't any water coming out when I took it off. Do I take the bolt out while the pupm is running?

If you had the manifold off and you didn't have water coming out then the heat exchanger is good. How did the thermal regulator look?

I'm guessing this unit is the older one. It has a black air orifice on the blower?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually remove it and using a pair of pliers, hold it over the heaters exhaust while the unit is running and see if it opens and closes like it should. However, lots of times you can see visually that it's so messed up that it's not working.

Well that might tell you there was something wrong with the unit and instead of finding the issue they just took a short cut to resolve it. I'm not sure this would resolve your issue, but you really should have that regulator in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.