Pentair VS pump

Mar 5, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
i currently have a Hayward single speed 2 hp super pump.
i want to replace it with a Pentair VS pump.

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V

Does anyone know if the plumbing will fit up, or will i need to re-plum the 2 pipes.

It doesn't just line right up. You will need to do just a bit of plumbing. You are going to want to install the coupling connectors anyway, and they require some plumbing. The couplings make the install much easier. They seal to the pump body by an O-ring that seals against the pump body, rather than relying on pipe dope or Teflon tape. $25-35, but money well spent.

Depending on whether you have room to move the pump around a little, the discharge can obviously be aligned, but the intake will need to be replumbed. It really isn't very hard. The only real issue is that a DIY install won't get you a full warranty. If you know a plumber, electrician, or pool service that owes you a favor, a receipt for the install sent in with the warranty card will qualify you for the full warranty.

Thanks for the info, trying to get my energy usage down, in the summer the single speed pump is using over 30% of my Energy bill.

- - - Updated - - -

What speeds do you run your pump ?
I also have a in floor system, and a 72 sq. ft. Hayward progrid D.E. filter, oh yea and a Krepe Krawley.
Are you using a SWG ?

My run schedule in the summer uses four different speeds. I have an in floor cleaning system, a solar heating system, and a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.

Pump Run Schedule

RPM Wattage Purpose Start/Stop Hrs

1,000 100 Extra Filtration 4 pm /11 pm..7
1,400 200 Chlorinate 8 am/4 pm........8
2,800 1,300 Cleaning 5 am/8 am........3

External Program
2,550 950 Solar Controller On Demand 40 gpm

The pump runs 18 hrs a day but most of it is at a power draw of 100 or 200 watts (vs my old pump's nearly 3,000 watt draw). The SWG requires 1200 rpm, (I use 1400 just to be safe). The in floor needs 2,800 rpm to work effectively, and three hours provides two full cleaning cycles. During the day, the solar system ramps up the pump speed to 2,550 if heat is called for and is available at the collectors. The rest of the time the pump runs at 1,000 rpm, drawing just 100 watts.

During the off season, I just run the three hour a day cleaning cycle. 3 hrs @ 2,800 rpm. It's enough to clean and chlorinate the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.