Something different every year!!!

sefrlw

Mar 25, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
My pool is no longer neglected since spring is here.

So I started Sat 4/18 with a dark green almost black pool. PH was 8.2+ CL 0 TA 50. Since it was so dark I chose a target of 30 for CL 7.5 for PH and TA of 120. So I added the appropriate amount of Baking soda, Muratic acid and 12.5% CL. Within 30 min. It went to a light brown. I thought woohoo no problems this year. Within 2 hours it was no longer any color it was cloudy but clear if you know what I mean. The only thing I noticed was very very fine foam on top. So over night it ran filtering.... The foam in the morning was still there not as much, but still there. Check my levels all is good. Added some CL to make up my loss. I can now see the brush when it is at the bottom. Just curious though about this very very fine foam. Any idea's?

Sometimes organic oils can cause foaming. Chlorine will break down the oils and stop the foaming, but it takes time for the chlorine to get to the oil that is in the foam you started out with.

Be aware that very very high FC levels can accelerate the aging on a vinyl liner. The effect isn't usually obvious, it just shortens the lifetime a little. That is why we have a table of appropriate shock levels for your CYA level. The shock levels in the table are safe for the liner. Levels a lot higher than that will not be.

How are you, my Wake Forest friend?

You don't post a CYA test result. That will greatly influence how cautious you need to be with the CL.

Anyway, I think you doing fine and I doubt the foaming is anything other than Jason suggested.......you've got a ton of junk in that pool and it'll take the Cl a while to get it cleaned up.

Just as a side note, I opened to pH of 7.2 this year and were only miles apart.....any idea why yours went so high?

Waste: :goodjob: You nailed it. I added salt last year for softness and I had some linear quat left and had put it in right at the end of the season. I would think it would be gone by now.

Jason: Yes I am quite aware, thanks for the reminder. I should have said my initial target not target as I am not maintaining 30 at this time. It was all but gone in no time and it never resembled this pool http://www.troublefreepool.com/nuclear-shock-treatment-going-on-now-t11241.html except for the black part. Yes, I nuked it but only for a short short time as I was not going to be around to monitor it every 30min.

Dave: There are only 2 things I can think of that increase my PH over the winter. 1.) The 2-3 gallons of CL I put in with not enough acid to counter the PH rise. 2.) The run off that goes into the pool when the deck drain gets clogged. I cleared it once and then forgot about it. With all the leaves that covered it I have had a large amount of runoff going into the pool this past month. On another subject I talked to the Tractor Supply manager last year and told him about stocking up on acid for the pool season. He was very receptive and I have yet to find them out of gallon jugs the past 2 times I went. I did clean him out this past Saturday though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.