Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I am buying a different home, and during the inspection it was discovered the pool needs re plastering. It was built in 2003 and is about ~12-13k gallons in size. Apparently the previous owner just threw in shock tabs from SAMs continuously as the Stabilizer was 300 plus. Bottom line is it is going to be re plastered. Question is should I wait till spring to have it redone? Is there any danger of damaging the gunite letting it sit? I close on the house November 30, so it will be getting somewhat cold. It has no heat currently and it is a chlorine pool. Reading here shows some after plaster requirements prior to using the pool and I was thinking waiting may be a better idea. Average highs and lows where I live in December are high of 50F and low of 30F. Are these temperatures OK or should I wait? I just want to be sure I do this right. Thanks all, this forum is a great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to TFP! Here is a good article on getting a quality plaster finish. Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster In the article it says to avoid extremes in tempurature when applying the plaster, so I would wait until you were reasonably sure the freeze risk was past before beginning. I would go ahead and get some quotes during the winter so I had plenty of time to choose someone to do the job.

Does the pool have water in it now?

Yes, even though the pool water is in poor condition, it has been operational and still is full of water. It's not all green or anything, but it does have some Algea and like I said the stabilizer is very high. Since I am so inexperienced, this is what I am concerned about. Is it OK to just shut it down for the next few months? How long does it have to cure before it is safe from weather? It seldom gets below freezing here in December, if it does it usually just for a few hours at night. (Oklahoma)

Re: Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster

I am going to have a pool replastered. I am guessing the standards are still accurate?

Big question for me is this:

Being in Oklahoma's climate, is this time of year (December) ok to plaster or should I wait till spring? Middle of night could get into lower 30's. Most of the hours would be likely 40-50 degrees. Too hot is bad as well if I read everything correctly. Can't really find anything for these temps. Thx all

Fresh or new plaster should not be subjected to freezing temperatures. The pool will probably fill with water within about 36 hours after finishing plastering, so the temperatures needs to stay above 40 degrees for that period of time. Tenting the pool during and after plastering is also another option to avoid freezing damage.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I should wait till spring. My next question is once I close the pool down, since the stabilizer is way too high, will it be safe just to leave everything as is until spring or should I be doing something to the water chemistry? Just want to be sure I don't do damage beyond the plaster or is that even something to be worried about? Sorry but I have never owned a PooL prior. Just want to make sure I shut it down without doing more damage. The previous owner just through shot tablets in the water continuously, and the stabilizer measured at the Max a rating of 300 I believe. Very little if any FC was showing up. What do you recommend I do with the water for closing it down until spring when I re-plaster? I am sure I need to add some bleach, will everything else be OK?

It would be beneficial to raise the alkalinity (TA) level to 150 ppm to help offset the high stabilizer level and make the water less aggressive. And yes, add some bleach to obtain a good chlorine level for winter.

Pool cover

I am buying a home, and it has a pool. This will be the first pool I've ever owned. I do have other threads going with questions but this is a separate issue. This pool is not rectangle, oval or square. It is shaped with curves with one side of it up against the wall with a waterfall. I would like to get a cover, but I am a bit confused on how to fit one. I have seen irregular shaped pools with covers strapped over them, but how would you connect it to the curves that are up against the wall? Can anybody suggest a place or a person I could get with to custom make a pool cover and to recommend the best type and installation for my situation? Any recommendations or direction would be great. I want it for leaves since there are lots of trees, but also somewhat as a safety feature. Much appreciate any help or advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I just went and took a water sample. Here's what I've got. TA =170
hardness =900
free chlorine = 1 ppm
pH 7.5
I think I told you the stabilizer was 300+

The current owner obviously did not watch anything. The replastering job will be done as soon as possible, just wondering if there's anything I need to do to this water in the meantime?

I just want to be sure nothing else gets messed up more than it already is..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.