Closing with water temp above 60f

Skitch

May 11, 2015
Athens, Georgia
There's no way I could have waited until my water temps are below 60f. My pool would be half full with leaves.

I raised FC to shock levels and covered. Am I going to uncover a swamp in the spring?

As I drive around town, most of the pools I can see from the street were closed before mine. I had no interest in keeping my open any longer, we haven't swam in 6 weeks. Nobody will get in when the water temp is below 80f!

Am I going to uncover a swamp in the spring?
Impossible to say. We base our suggestions on what seems to work well for others and the choice is yours to decide what's best for you.

I chose not to close my pool at all and I'll match leaf accumulation with just about anyone http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/69139-Leaves?highlight=leaf that's my choice but it is not the choice of many others.

I'm further up north in Maryland. My pool has been staying around mid 60's for about the past 6 weeks.
About the first of Oct, when leaves started falling I made sure my pool was balanced then brought it up to shock level.
I brushed and put cover on. I have been running the filter and swg, but I check my chlorine every couple of days to keep fc about 15. When the water drops below 60 and stays, I will pull the cover back and drain, blow lines and winterize.

You need to open the pool in a timely manner and not wait til it gets hot. When you do that, you breed algae. Open the pool in March and you should be fine considering you closed the pool with good numbers and zero algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.