is clorox performance bleach the same as clorox regular?

I'm not seeing anything unusually different or better with this type of Clorox. It's primary ingredient is still Sodium Hypochlorite, about 8.3%. The MSDS can be found HERE. This page breaks-down some of the "other" ingredients: The Clorox Company | Products | Ingredients Inside | Clorox High Efficiency Regular Bleach (Concentrated). We're always careful about a product that tends to package additional ingredients to "enhance" it's cleaning abilities. Looks like another product marketed that regular "generic" bleach will do just fine.... and probably cheaper :)

They don't have an MSDS on line for that specific product name, so I would avoid it.

At least in my area the Clorox at Costco is more expensive than the generic at WalMart or Dollar General.

*********On Edit

Pat cheated and used a state site to find the MSDS. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
I bought some of this Performance Bleach today at Costco -- I'm used to getting my bleach there and I did not notice at the time that it was not labelled "Regular". I'm looking here at bottles of the old "Regular" and the new "Performance". The only difference I see on the labels is that "Performance" is 8.3% Sodium Hypochlorite compared to 8.25% for the "Regular". I hope that's all it is. I sent an email to Clorox to ask if they are the same stuff. I'm not putting it into the pool until I'm sure.

Came here searching for this same question. Saw the performance bleach at Costco. Please update if Clorox tells you anything about the product.
My wife will tell you I'm Costco's biggest fan, but I won't buy my bleach there. The sell a 3 pack for about $9.50 when I can get them at Dollar General for $2.95 each.

Just got this from Clorox:

"Thank you for remaining in contact with our team. We truly apologize for the delay in our response time. After reaching out to our team members, we would like to confirm that Clorox Performance bleach is the exact same formula as our Clorox Regular Concentrated Bleach."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to the magic of rounding, there is no difference between 8.25% and 8.3%. Now, if they had claimed 8.30%...

Surely the same overpaid marketing genius that rebaptized regular as performance is capable of rounding 8.25 to 8.3.

Received an update from Clorox for my followup...
Hello JR,

Thank you for reaching out to us at Clorox.

We are happy to share some details on the differences between our Clorox Performance and Regular Concentrated bleaches. Our Regular Concentrated Bleach contains 8.25% sodium hypochlorite, while the Performance bleach contains 8.30%.

If you have a bottle of Clorox Performance Bleach you may use it the same way you would use our Regular Concentrated Bleach, the main difference is the slightly higher level of sodium hypochlorite and Performance Bleach is specifically packaged for commercial use (indicating kill claims) and is only available at club stores like Sam's.

We hope this clears things up! Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
Consumer Services

I received this from Clorox. Still waiting to hear back on a follow-up about why if it is the same as Regular Bleach they do not recommend it. I have found a thread on Clorox where they do recommend Regular Bleach.
(04/08/2016 10:37 AM)
Hello JR,

Thank you for contacting us.

The only difference between the formula of Clorox Performance Bleach and Clorox Regular Concentrated is:

• Clorox Performance Bleach contains 8.30% sodium hypochlorite
  • Clorox Regular Concentrated Bleach contains 8.25% sodium hypochlorite
The Performance Bleach is also packaged for commercial use (indicating organism kill claims) versus the Regular Bleach is packaged for home use. We do not recommend you use the performance bleach in the pool.

We hope this answers all your questions. Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Consumer Services
JR Hayward (04/08/2016 07:35 AM)
I bought something called Clorox Performance Bleach which is evidently sold in box stores only. I cannot find any reference to it on your web site. What is the difference between Regular Concentrated and Performance? I use the Regular in my pool and want to know if I can use the Performance as well.

Last edited:
So it seems the Performance bleach is the same? I sure hope so.....I just bought 6 cases of the stuff from BJs.

From the responses above, it seems it just a marketing term.

While I love Costco and put up with Sam's because our new Costco won't open until this summer I never buy my bleach there. At least in our local club stores a bleach 3 pack is $9.50ish. I can get 3 generic 8.25% bottles from Dollar General for $8.85 ($2.95ea), saving almost a dollar. I use about 3 gallons a week, so those dollars add up over the summer....

While I love Costco and put up with Sam's because our new Costco won't open until this summer I never buy my bleach there. At least in our local club stores a bleach 3 pack is $9.50ish. I can get 3 generic 8.25% bottles from Dollar General for $8.85 ($2.95ea), saving almost a dollar. I use about 3 gallons a week, so those dollars add up over the summer....

It was $9 for a 3 pack at our local BJs club. Since I just use it for spring startup (for a SLAM and enough to maintain FC until the water is warm enough to turn on the SWCG), the extra cost is worth the convenience (BJs always has the quantity I need). :)

"We do not recommend you use the performance bleach in the pool."

Sheesh, I thought this was cleared up a few months ago. I can report that I have used a few jugs of the Performance Bleach, and I cannot detect any difference from Regular Bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.