Sucking air through pump strainer threads

mlulm

Aug 26, 2008
I have a pump sucking air through the threads at the pump strainer. The plumbing doesn’t have any unions so its not possible to tighten the threads. Is there a something I can use or do to seal the leak?

Welcome to TFP!!

This is not the optimal way of fixing it, installing unions would be best, but you can apply some silicone caulk to the joint, have the pump off and wipe the connection dry and put on the caulk, Then turn the pump on for ~ 5 seconds to draw the caulk into the leak and turn the pump off for 10 hours while the caulk sets. As I said, it's not the optimal way of dealing with this, but has the advantage of being 'quick and dirty' :)

What kind of pump is it? If the strainer easily disconnects from the impeller housing you might be able to disassemble it from the inside out. Like Ted said, putting in a union would be the best solution. It's a pretty simple job and if the threads leak again, you can re-seal with ease.

My pump does this every couple of years. I am able to take the strainer basket off the pump, then spin it off the threads. At this point I reapply the Teflon thread dope and spin the strainer basket back on and bolt up to the pump. Good for another couple years.

Hopefully that makes sense,
dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.